• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

A Canucks fan goes to the ACC...

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Matthew Kofsky, a former resident of Vancouver, currently living in Toronto for the pass 10 years went to the Habs and Leafs game. I will state right now, he is a Canucks fan... so he has no horse in this race. Doesn't matter who wins or loses to him. He did post a "Go Habs" before the puck drop ;)

Anyway, I am going to quote some of his tweets to show you how disgusting it is inside of some arenas and how this society has a long way to go in regards to racism and homophobia.

Guys a few rows behind me were heckling Suban shouting that he should go play basketball. Disgusting. Too far away for me to tell off.
Racism is alive and well Toronto. Just have to go to a hockey game. Too bad.
More heckling. Suban stole someone's wallet. Suban stole someone's bike. I'm going to lose it. Leafs fans.. you really suck tonight.
I'm all for heckling but seriously.. Racism.. Homophobia.. Not necessary. Quit it.
Out come the Jane and Finch heckles. Thankfully one if his friends called him out. This is grotesque.
http://www.stalbansclub.ca/janeandfinch/

listening to a bunch of racist fuckers behind me. Ruining the experience.
Then it escalates...

These would be the guys that threw their beer ate for calling them out on their homophobia and racism
https://twitter.com/MKofsky/status/424740530631614464

He called them out on their racist bullshit and the guy in the middle threw a beer at him. When the ACC staff came in, the ACC staff were going to let the idiots go, so the guy got in the middle and got headbutted. The ACC staff did nothing. The police even less.

When he got home to his apartment, he wouldn't let strangers in to his building so they they beat him at his front step.

His Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/MKofsky

willge87

Registered Member
Certainly these three were douchebags and to hear that ACC security did little is disconcerting, but if he's trying to use those three to cast aspersions about the entire Leafs fanbase...

Doesn't matter who wins or loses to him. He did post a "Go Habs" before the puck drop ;)
So it did matter not that it is relevant to the topic at hand.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Well... to be honest, if you are a fan of another team that is not playing, you usually pick one team to cheer for. Like if I watched a Flames and Oilers game live, I cheer for the Oilers. Jets vs Flames, Jets. I don't think it was just these three guys that were doing the heckling... but it was these three guys that threw a beer at him and headbutted him when he called them out.

Some people that go to games shouldn't be allowed in public. Tyler Seguin's sister got profanity and beer thrown at them last year in the playoffs. Yeah... throwing beer and insults at teenagers at a hockey game. Real classy...

Lucic's grandparents had beer tossed at them, slices of pizza...

BJBirdy

Registered Member
I wasn't there, so I obviously can't say what did and didn't happen, but it does sound like he's letting a few morons overshadow plenty of mature people in the stands at last night's game. Unfortunately, there are gonna be idiots everywhere. I've gone to hundreds of games and the only time in recent memory I recall someone making any sort of racial remarks were about Nazem Kadri and Ajay Baines (former AHLer) for the color of their skin.

Is racism a problem in Toronto and Canada in general? I never would have guessed it was until reading this. I know that it still is in Europe because I have countless friends from there and several of them are racist with zero basis for it and it disgusts me greatly.

willge87

Registered Member
Off-topic but I had a roommate in college who would extoll the virtues of Europe to another roommate (who was from China) talking about how North Americans are "ignorant" and it is so much better in Europe. But, you hear the stories about racism coming from there and while North America is far from perfect, neither is Europe.

BJBirdy is right, I say again, three idiots a fanbase does not make. Every fanbase in sports has idiots and it is foolish to try to use this article to paint a brush of all Maple Leaf fans.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
Let me know when it is socially and legally acceptable to headbutt someone in front of arena staff and not have them report the assault to the police in the arena... I think you guys are skipping that issue. Yes... there are idiots in every arena. There have been idiots in Montreal who have gone to a game wearing black face. I accept that... people are stupid.

Also... read his tweets. It was not just those 3 guys. They were the three guys who attacked after he called them out. I am not calling the fanbase racist... that would be a stupid extrapolation of a few morons on liquid courage but it was more than just 3 guys.

Again... should it not be the job of arena staff to discourage such language and actions? Would you allow this type of language and actions on a television program in which children watch? Would you take your kids to a Barney concert with such language and actions?

They ban a person for life from the ACC who tosses waffles on the ice but shouting racism, homophobic remarks and assaulting someone is perfectly fine in their facility. Good to know...

BJBirdy

Registered Member
Crypticshock said:
Let me know when it is socially and legally acceptable to headbutt someone in front of arena staff and not have them report the assault to the police in the arena... I think you guys are skipping that issue. Yes... there are idiots in every arena. There have been idiots in Montreal who have gone to a game wearing black face. I accept that... people are stupid.

Also... read his tweets. It was not just those 3 guys. They were the three guys who attacked after he called them out. I am not calling the fanbase racist... that would be a stupid extrapolation of a few morons on liquid courage but it was more than just 3 guys.

Again... should it not be the job of arena staff to discourage such language and actions? Would you allow this type of language and actions on a television program in which children watch? Would you take your kids to a Barney concert with such language and actions?

They ban a person for life from the ACC who tosses waffles on the ice but shouting racism, homophobic remarks and assaulting someone is perfectly fine in their facility. Good to know...
It's unfortunate, but it seems to be the case at a lot of venues that I've been to. It's as if security wants to avoid an even bigger problem by trying to neglect it altogether.

Off-topic but I had a roommate in college who would extoll the virtues of Europe to another roommate (who was from China) talking about how North Americans are "ignorant" and it is so much better in Europe. But, you hear the stories about racism coming from there and while North America is far from perfect, neither is Europe.
I agree with this. One thing that annoyed me with Europeans telling me how much better things are in Europe is that they were complaining about North Americans being closed-minded, all while being closed-minded themselves. Of course whatever you grew up with is always going to be "better" than the new culture is because it's more familiar to you.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
It's unfortunate, but it seems to be the case at a lot of venues that I've been to. It's as if security wants to avoid an even bigger problem by trying to neglect it altogether.
I am almost certain it is a job requirement to report any physical harassment/assault to the police at the arena... Security in Chicago had no problem removing a fan that took Adam Pardy's helmet and his lady friend that poured a beer over Pardy.

Hopefully something is done about it. He's had a police officer tweet to him. I think he went down to the station after charging his phone with pictures. It's not really a good fan experience, certainly if the in arena staff are not going to keep you safe.

...and if this stuff happens at a lot of venues, that's alarming.