A Big Brother Society

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Chaos, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Chaos

Chaos Epic Gamer V.I.P. Lifetime

Do you believe in the Big Brother Society idea, where essentially, everyone is watched, all the time, in everything they do? It could be argued that it would/could lessen and lower crime and the possibility of crime - but would you willingly consent to being constantly monitored? Even if that information/monitoring was confidential?

What're your thoughts on the Big Brother idea as a whole? Morally just or too invasive?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Isn't God watching us all the time and yet it hasn't stopped us from sinning? :bolt:

Seriously now, would I consent to being watched all the time? My initial response would be no. Some say that if I have nothing to hide, I shouldn't object to it. It's not really I have something to hide but I'd like to keep my sense of privacy. Would I not be willing to sacrifice my privacy if it ensured total security? Maybe. It's just that I don't trust the ones who'll have the power to monitor us. I think such amount of power could corrupt some people and have them use it for other selfish purposes.

3. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

I completely believe that Big Brother is coming and I've even found his all seeing eye. It'll be the new game system that'll make all the other game systems completely obsolete. It's called OnLive. OnLive: The Future of Video Games

Think about it. Everyone is going to want this. And it's the perfect thing to get everyone interconnected, and it will get Big Brother straight into your living room.

I'm fucking terrorfied that Big Brother is right around the corner, and I feel that it's a complete invasion of privacy and personal space.

4. Corona

Corona Registered Member

A society like that is by nature oppressive and favors the absolute power of a few over all others. This power is backed only by the constant threat of force. Not my kind of place.

5. Chaos

I meant to add another point to the OP, but it seems I forgot about it:

Do you think you'd act differently with your day to day life if you knew you were being monitored? Would you prefer to know exactly where the camera's and/or monitoring equipment was, or would you rather not know - would ignorance be bliss in this occasion? For those of you who've seen it, think of the film The Truman Show - would you rather live in ignorance or would you rather be in the know?

6. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

It doesn't matter if we'd want to act differently or not, we'd have to. I wouldn't want any cameras anywhere near my house monitoring me at all. Given the choice, I'd rather live in the woods, far away from any electrical powers that could house a camera, and so far off the radar that it wouldn't matter anyway.
    ------
    But I didn't answer the question. So to rephrase my answer, if I were living in the Truman Show type scenario, I'd rather be in the know. My paranoia would drive me insane once I realized that everything, literally everything, was scripted and completely predictable.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

For the Truman type of scenario (stay away now if you don't want spoilers for the movie), it's either I'm in the know from the start, or I'm ignorant about it until the end of my days. I think either would be fine. I just think it's worse to be ignorant at first, then find out later. Anyway, I'm just talking about the monitoring part because in Truman, they did more than that, they manipulated things.

8. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Theoretically I am against this. In practice Im for it.

Most people know the UK's reputation as a Big Brother state where most urban centres have cameras watching you left, right and centre. Having lived in this environment it makes no difference to my personal liberties unless of course I was planning to take liberty of a situation. This is not the same as saying as long as your not a criminal. But the reality is it makes little difference to everyday life for the individual, it does deter crime, it does help the emergency services, is does help in the reporting of unusual/suspicious behavior.

I love the talking lamposts where you get told off for droping litter, I wish we did not need them but unfortunately sections of society have little regard for the collectives needs. As long as the intentions of Big Brother remain moral then Im for it and at the end of the day why wouldn't they be?

9. Chaos

Here's a little story for you. The bar I work at naturally has CCTV. The CCTV camera's caught a guy vandalising the flower baskets outside the pub - he literally pulled them down and threw them around, smashing them up. One of the staff, after watching the tape, identified him clearly, both by name and what he was wearing - he'd actually been in the bar that day. The police went to see him and came back with the story that the lad in question's mother had given him an alibi, saying he'd been home the entire night. Apparantly, that was the end of any investigations, despite the CCTV evidence, of which the police had copies, as well as the barmaid's statement.

So, is it really all that effective?

Power and money corrupts - it's something considered inevitable by most people.

You know, I remember hearing something about these a good while back - are they actually using them now? It's something I'd love to see. :hah:

10. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Yes it is, the bar now know who vandalised the pub and probaly will stop serving him, the police now know who did it, even if they dont act on it, they know that Joe Bloggs at #55 is a trouble maker. The guy who done it is also feeling a bit of prat for doing something so stupid on camera.

Retell the story without the camera; Pub gets vandalised[/end]

This is just one story where the camera has not succeeded(NB;it has not failed, it identified the perpetrator) there are many more where it has been a key in fighting crime either as evidence or for providing a solid lead. The capture of David Copeland springs to mind as being a major case where CCTV saved lives.

Thats true but it does not stop us having a police force, politicians, councilors, judges, civil servants, magistrates, security guards etc... Im sure even you have a price.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
    Chaos likes this.