• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

A ban list

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
Curious if possible but it would be cool so see a list of all past banned members and their possible other alias'. Or just a rolling list of the most recently banned members.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We ban so many spammers in a day that the list would be incredibly long. There's no point of having this type of list in my opinion. Also, Hybrix has more important things to take care of, and he's extremely busy right now.

Sorry Swift, I don't see it happening.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
We ban so many spammers in a day that the list would be incredibly long. There's no point of having this type of list in my opinion. Also, Hybrix has more important things to take care of, and he's extremely busy right now.

Sorry Swift, I don't see it happening.
That's why it could be a rolling list. Maybe the 10 most recently banned or something. But if Hybrix doesnt have time then its understandable.

Last edited:

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
What if we exclude spammers like people who just create an account with a name like sfkjrofl and obviously only want to spam? Can't we make a list of members who were actually active, maybe make a minimum post count requirement to make the list? Should be interesting to see, I think.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I did that once Idi, it was called the Wall of Shame and half of GF/FC loved it, the other half hated it.

Swiftstrike

Registered Member
What would it be for, Swift? I think it's a neat idea, but I bet Brix would ask why too.
Such a feature would act as monitoring device: a way for members see moderator activity. Aside from the locking/removing of posts or an intervention post, most members aren't really exposed to a whole lot that the moderators do.

This would serves as a nice "government" output feature. Typically a user reports a post, the moderator see the report, deletes the post and bans the user; covering up all traces of the spammer or banned member in most cases.

All this feature does is add another step: the banned user is placed on a list that members can view. This offers a sense of satisfaction to the users, some transparency to moderator actions, and a feeling of community participation.

It might even overcome some collective action problems and encourage other users to actively report spammers to see their "guy" on the list.
I know most of the time when I see spammers I often ignore reporting the post; I think someone else will take care of it or a mod will see it.

However such a system could reduce the workload for moderators, since it might encourage community participation in filtering out spammers. It would be similar to a neighborhood watch that acts to reduce local crime.

Yes an elaborate argument for the utility of such a simple feature but it is nice to highlight its possible positive impacts.

Also it would be REALLY COOL!

Tangentially, there are several features on GF that serve no utility or little utility. This feature, in theory, would surpass MANY others.

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
To be fair, whenever a somewhat active poster has been removed from GF, moderators have let us know about it or will answer questions about it (typically). I mean we even took Kaz back recently if you didn't see, Swift. A ban list would be nice but I think ultimately it would just be a waste of time and effort. I think you could probably ask a mod to make a sticky somewhere with the more recent bans.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
Once I asked Brix to created a list of all members and he said the list would make the forum run slowly.
I'm afraid he could give the same answer about a ban list.

Dekzper

Registered Member
Members could work together to make a sticky thread and add names of anyone they know has been banned. It wouldn't cover peeps banned in the past but it would be a start.