• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

99% of visa overstays not investigated

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The federal government doesn’t investigate 99 percent of illegal immigrants who entered the country legally but overstayed their visas, Homeland Security officials told the Senate on Wednesday, exposing what critics said was a giant loophole in immigration enforcement and national security.
99 percent of illegal immigrants who overstay visas aren’t investigated

Just this year alone a couple of thousand from the ME overstayed their visa. What is wrong with Obama to let this happen. 5 of the 9/11 hijackers overstayed their visa. Right now they think there are hundreds of thousands of people in this country that have done this.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Damn...they aren't looking into this? Too bad...I coulda kept Rebecca here longer than 3 months the first time!

The fact of the matter is this though, speaking from experience, all they do is stamp your passport and send you off. They don't track you so how would they know if you spent more than the allotted time here anyway?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think our government tries too hard to do anything about it so if she did stay I doubt anything would have ever been said.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
This is one of the many reasons why building a wall would be ineffectual in curbing illegal immigration and would be little more than an eyesore and a money pit.

Speaking of money pits, how about cutting the Department of Homeland Security?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Building a wall would be effective is slowing down illegal immigration a lot and would also keep drug cartels from shooting over the border which happens often. Maybe they will still shoot but they will only hit a wall.

People overstaying their visas makes up 40% of illegals, 60% still come across the border and some of them are from the ME, Africa and Asia.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Another huge Homeland Security fail. How can they track terrorism if they cant even track visas? And since more immigrants = more people to track then it will only get worse because they already cant track everybody thats here.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
This is one of the many reasons why building a wall would be ineffectual in curbing illegal immigration and would be little more than an eyesore and a money pit.

Speaking of money pits, how about cutting the Department of Homeland Security?
Not really. The border wall is to curb illegal immigration that mostly comes across the Mexican border. Those illegal immigrants aren't here on overstated visas, they're sneaking across without visas. I'm not saying a border wall would be effective or that I'm in favor of it, I'm saying a border wall or no border wall would have no effect on this at all.

So we don't investigate overstated visas and your solution is to cut funds to Homeland Security even more?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It was just over that hill that Nicholas Ivie and two other Border Patrol agents were responding to a tripped ground sensor early Tuesday when someone started shooting at them, killing Ivie and wounding one of the other agents.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/04/border-agent-shot/1613147/

MCALLEN, Texas — A U.S. Border Patrol agent shot and killed a drug trafficker and likely cartel member who fired at authorities during a failed drug smuggling attempt near the Texas border.
http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...rug-trafficker-in-shootout-near-texas-border/

The farmer said a federal law enforcement agent told him to buy a bulletproof vest to use while working in his fields. Whenever he goes out to survey his agricultural operations, he always tells his office where he is headed, and he has purchased a high-powered rifle.

"One of the basic points of the federal government is to protect the people of this nation to secure the border, and they're not doing that," he complained.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/45440385/...exican-border-us-ranchers-say-they-live-fear/

Ranching No Man's Land

Active 4-Star General: Obama’s Border Crisis Threatens America’s Existence

I think a wall would go a long ways to help curb illegals. Will it stop it all of course not, nothing probably will but at least ranchers along the border can feel safer. There shouldn't be a no mans land along our border.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm saying a border wall or no border wall would have no effect on this at all.
My point was that there will still be an illegal immigration problem with or without a wall, so we don't actually disagree here.

So we don't investigate overstated visas and your solution is to cut funds to Homeland Security even more?
No, that's not what I said. My opinion on Homeland Security is not limited to just one issue, which is the assumption that you made. Nowhere in this thread or anywhere else did I say that we should cut Homeland Security because of its lack of investigations into overstayed visas.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
My point was that there will still be an illegal immigration problem with or without a wall, so we don't actually disagree here.

No, that's not what I said. My opinion on Homeland Security is not limited to just one issue, which is the assumption that you made. Nowhere in this thread or anywhere else did I say that we should cut Homeland Security because of its lack of investigations into overstayed visas.
I didn't make that assumption. I also never implied anyone said we should cut funding BECAUSE OF overstayed visas.

Facts:

1. According to THIS report, 99% of overstayed visa's are not investigated.
2. You said we should cut funding to Homeland Security.

Conclusion: Based on the funding we have now they aren't being investigated, less funds would mean they would more than likely continue not to be investigated.