'99.9pc certainty' of Noah's Ark discovery

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Xeilo, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Xeilo

Xeilo Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

idisrsly likes this.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

I believe it could be real, and will be following this story with great interest. The part that especially peaks my curiosity is this:

So according to that article:

1. Carbon dating shows the structure is some odd 4,800 years old, which means it fits the age that the Ark is estimated to be, should it exist.
    2. It appears to be part of a bigger structure that calls for further excavation.
    3. The structure was found above where humans ever lived.
    4. From what was excavated so far, the structure appears to contain various "housing units".
    5. It was found on the same mountain that the Bible says Noah's Ark came to rest on.

Certainly nobody could argue that any of the findings so far would DISPROVE it being Noah's Ark. I find it interesting that the team that found it would claim 99.9% certainty, but then again their list of findings is impressive. I would definitely not jump the gun and say this is a 100% certainty, but I do believe this could get a lot more interesting as more research is done.

I actually posted a hypothetical question about such a possibility of if Noah's Ark were to be discovered a few years ago here:

http://www.generalforum.com/religion/if-noahs-ark-were-discovered-12218.html

Hmmm...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

Somebody found the Ark again, how exciting. Do you know how many times I've heard this claim?
    ------
    On a more pointed cautionary note, let's remember that the "99.9%" estimate comes from one of the fifteen presumed crackpots from Noah's Ark Ministries International scouring what is today called Mount Ararat (likely not the "mountains of Ararat" mentioned in the Bible; their association was based on St. Jerome's assumptions about the writings of Flavius Josephus) for a legendary vessel which, unbiased investigation has led 99.9% of scholars to conclude, did not exist and never could have existed. Oh, it would be cool to find something like that. But this team, too, will fade into obscurity like all the others before it.

With so many species of animals frolicking about in these post-Flood days, I'd be interested in learning the exact number of compartments this structure contains. ;)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  4. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

5. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

Gotta side with Tuck on this one. Even when I was firmly convinced of Christianity, I was skeptical of this sort of thing.

6. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

This story is from 2008. Are these guys just intending to announce they've found Noah's Ark every 2 years or something? Anyways, I'm glad fundamentalists accept the legitimacy of carbon dating now.

7. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

This is the 4th I believe in my life. I always find it interesting. Its a wait and see at this point. In a few months I'm sure we'll know if this is the real ark or not.

8. Raos

Raos Registered Member

If this is the fourth time you have seen this in your lifetime then what makes you think we will know for real in a few months if the other 3 times did not prove anything?

9. idisrsly

idisrsly I'm serious V.I.P. Lifetime

I'm 99.9% sure nothing will come of this. I believe that there was an Ark, obviously, but find it extremely hard to believe that there would be anything left from the Ark to carbon date! With weather conditions and erotion, after 4800 years, it just sounds highly unlikey.

They should put their efforts into finding the Ark of the Covenant. I'm certain that would still be in tact!

10. Raos

Raos Registered Member

There is someone who claims to have found it. Actually it is claimed that the original was destroyed at some point and another was made and this second one is what was found. The problem is that it is in a hostile country in the hands of the dictator in his own personal house. Sorry I do not have any hard details or facts. I saw a few programs on TV and heard a few radio programs on NPR, but it was a while ago and I have since forgotten the actual details. Of course it has not been proven that it actually is the ark (or second ark), but the evidence pointed very strongly at it.