• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

9 dead in Church Shooting

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Police in Charleston, South Carolina, were searching for a white gunman on Thursday who killed nine people in a historic African-American church, in an attack that police and the city's mayor described as a hate crime.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/18/us-usa-shooting-south-carolina-idUSKBN0OY06A20150618

This was a horrible thing to wake up to. 9 people having their lives taken from them while in church where they probably thought they were safe. One of the dead was a State Senator. Hope they catch the thug that did this soon.

It was mentioned on the news that if someone in the church had been armed he probably wouldn't have killed so many people, if any. I would agree with that.

Thoughts?

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Apparently this asshole went to the church previously...I don't know why, stake it out?
Regardless, what's the point of doing this? I don't get what motivation he would have. Rot in hell, dick.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think his motivation was hate like so many mass murderers. We are probably dealing with a sick mind here but still may he rot in hell.

Stego

Registered Member
Apparently mass shootings are so common in America that it's never "a good time" to talk about mass shootings in America.

Dear politicians, we don't want your thoughts and prayers; we want your legislation.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm happy to announce they got him. They arrested 21 year old Dylann Roof during a traffic stop. Seems he was into white supremacy.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/18/us-usa-shooting-south-carolina-idUSKBN0OY06A20150618

The church this happened at was almost 200 years old. It was burned down in the late 1820's after a slave revolt.

I don't want their legislation we have enough gun laws. There are so many illegal guns on the streets now the only people it would hurt is people that buy guns legally.

What we need is better mental health facilities and access to them even for the poor.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Exactly. The American cure for nutjobs = drugs but they can still buy illegal weapons and kill people. People with serious anger management issues need to be OFF the streets and getting serious help.

But I blame the NSA too. They claim they use all the data to stop criminals but they were probaly interviewing some woman for trying to buy a pressure cooker while all this happened.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/01/new-york-police-terrorism-pressure-cooker

I mean really? The dude was advertising race-hate on his jacket with those flags of Rhodesia and South Africa. So why werent they watching him? So maybe they were just more interested in people that cook cereal in pressure cookers?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There hasn't been a mass shooting in my country for 19 years, that's most of my life. And I was so young during the last one that I don't even remember it. When you live somewhere like this it's mind-boggling to see so many in a country. I hear about more mass shootings multiple times a year, every year in the US. It makes it seem like a scary place to be, even though I know it probably isn't.

This case does seem to be particularly messed up. Especially since he sat with them for an hour doing bible studies.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Technically these "hate crimes" are serial killings. I don't think the motivation really matters here, whether it was hate or boredom or whatever else. In general I am against capital punishment, but there are rare cases where I think exceptions are in order and this is one of them. The message needs to be sent out loud and clear that all human life is equally precious and that taking it arbitrarily will not be tolerated by society as a whole. I want to see this buggar gassed, or better yet, strung up if there's still any states that do that. Make an example out of him and those like him. Nine people murdered, nine lives cut short, and nine families devastated, for what? Because they were Black? Because of some other demented reason? Serial killers deserve but one fate, to become headlines themselves when they are put down like rabid dogs.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
One thing that could possibly change is when you gift a gun to someone maybe they should have to go through a background check as if they were buying it. The guy that murdered all these innocent people had the gun given to him by an uncle. He had been arrested in the past for drugs and trespassing. Have no idea of the details.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The guy is a white supremacist, he feels that blacks are taking over the country, and according to him, he wanted to start a civil war. Maybe it's time to stop flying the Confederate flag at the South Carolina capitol.