9/12 March on Washington DC

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
There is a movement planning a large march on Washington DC on 9/12/2009. This march seems to consist of people who think Obama is being irresponsible with the economy and people who think government run health care is a terrible idea.

09.12.09 March on Washington | The Tea Party Movement Goes to Capitol Hill

It will be interesting to see how the media covers this or if they cover it. In general they haven't been very good at covering people who disagree with the administration so far.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
This has to do with Glenn Beck, doesn't it? If so, I think it will get quite a bit of coverage on America's most watched cable news network. Outside of that, who knows? Protests don't usually get much coverage, and when they do, it's pretty much never for anything positive.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I've never been able to sponsor or support anything run by people who fall on end of the political spectrum to the extreme and this is looking no different. I agree Obama has been almost a complete dud compared to the messiah he's supposed to be, but I don't see the need for a march really.

Bananas

Endangered Species
This march seems to consist of people who think Obama is being irresponsible with the economy and people who think government run health care is a terrible idea.
My guess is they are the same people who hold both ideas true.

==============

These marches though dont make any kind of difference other than direct a sense of sensationalism, sure it makes people feel they are fighting the cause but it in no way gives you a seat in the boardroom......& that is exactly where the lobbying should be, aimed directly at the senator who represents you. I bet most of the people at these protests have not even written a letter to their representative. A protest is just a mob where as a letter equals a ballot, I know if I were in office which one I'd be representing.

Hybrix; said:
It will be interesting to see how the media covers this or if they cover it. In general they haven't been very good at covering people who disagree with the administration so far.
Im sure it has, even this side of the Atlantic we get reports of the general resentment going on in the US at the moment. Doesn't Fox have reports? I did not think they have had a good thing to say about the administration thus far., surel ythese protests would appeal to them.

Last edited:

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
These marches though dont make any kind of difference other than direct a sense of sensationalism, sure it makes people feel they are fighting the cause but it in no way gives you a seat in the boardroom......& that is exactly where the lobbying should be, aimed directly at the senator who represents you.
So the million man march for civil rights did nothing then, right?

I'm not saying this march will do anything (I highly doubt it) but you're shooting this down without remembering that marches and protests can most definitely accomplish things. Anyone who disagrees will get shot down by Martin Luther King and the march on Washington.

Besides, a senator is one man/woman, and they can easily ignore you. It's harder to ignore masses.

I bet most of the people at these protests have not even written a letter to their representative.
This is pretty much solid evidence that you have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to the US. Either that or you severely underestimate the passion of the political extremes in this country :lol:

I'd be most of these people have written numerous letters, complaints, and probably hate mail to all sorts of politicians and the like.

A protest is just a mob where as a letter equals a ballot, I know if I were in office which one I'd be representing.
I'll just repeat myself as evidence that a march/protest can be very effective:

Im sure it has, even this side of the Atlantic we get reports of the general resentment going on in the US at the moment. Doesn't Fox have reports? I did not think they have had a good thing to say about the administration thus far., surel ythese protests would appeal to them.
Oh Faux news is going to have a field day with this march if it turns out to be as people think it's going to be. I'm banking on disappointment but we'll see.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
The tax day tea party movement, which I attended in my town was put off by the media as meaningless and making no real difference. However, when the same people starting showing up at town halls and asking tough questions about the health care bill, it resulted in the death or serious impalement of ObamaCare.

This is a snowball movement and honest I don't think anyone knows where it ends. With the typical 'march on DC', the march is the end event. This is a very different movement, imo.

Bjarki

Registered Member
I've never been able to sponsor or support anything run by people who fall on end of the political spectrum to the extreme and this is looking no different. I agree Obama has been almost a complete dud compared to the messiah he's supposed to be, but I don't see the need for a march really.
Being a dud is generally a good thing for a president. If you make the news a lot, you're either taking radical decisions or you are messing up (Bush anyone?).

I think there's some irony here. First people are afraid he's gonna turn the whole country into a semi-communist state in which the government runs everything and now he's being dissed for not taking steps to ensure economic revival (which would necessarily demand a far more active government - Roosevelt's New Deal anyone?).

Tucker

Lion Rampant
Looks like a faction of the recently spanked are feeling emasculated. Good for them, I say, for showing that they still have balls and for pretending that they still have power.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
This news story illustrates what the tea party movement is about more than anything I've seen in a long time: Seller, beware: Feds cracking down on secondhand sales of some products - Kansas City Star

highlights:
Resale Roundup....makes it a crime to resell anything that's been recalled by its manufacturer....The crackdown affects sellers ranging from major thrift-store operators such as Goodwill and the Salvation Army to everyday Americans cleaning out their attics for yard sales...."We want to make sure that everybody knows what the rules of engagement are to help spur greater compliance, so that enforcement becomes less of an issue. But we're still going to enforce.".....Internet surveillance unit is monitoring Craigslist.....President George W. Bush signed into law last year....
Signed by Bush, enforced by Obama, paid for by me.

Another government agency that exist to restrict people's rights. Throw caveat emptor out the window and pay the government to manage what I buy and sell.

Its a small thing and nobody is going to be marching on 9/12 with signs saying repeal resale roundup. The point is people don't want larger and larger government because that has to be paid for with money and liberties.
------
Hybrix,
Wish we weren't so far apart. This would be a great road trip.

Last edited: