• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hot! 8K TVs

dDave

V.I.P.
I got to see one of these sets in person a while back before the social distancing and quarantining started.

If you are unfamiliar with what 8K means let me break it down for you real quick.

1080p (full HD)
4K (Ultra HD, 4x the pixels of 1080p)
8K (4x the pixels of 4K, 16x the pixels of 1080p)

I have to say, I am very impressed. Don't get me wrong, 4K still looks amazing but I can see 8K will have a use even beyond that. One thing we just can't seem to get away from are jagged edges that look unnatural on a screen or aliased edges. The higher the resolution, the less likely these are to occur.

I can see 8K being really good for larger screens or screens that are viewed from a closer distance. I would especially like to see 4K movie theaters upgrade to 8K at some point. That's a significant quality jump. I'd be willing to pay a few more dollars for a ticket in 8K for sure.

We still don't have any real source content for 8K, just some demo footage. Just like 4K the technology will be slowly adopted over time as the price on the technology drops and content will come out.

Anyone else seen an 8K TV?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I just bought a 4k about 2 years ago so I doubt I will be running out and buying one at this time. Although I think they are great and my son is talking about getting one.. Now if I only had perfect vision so I could see the difference.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
With the rate that technology is improving, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 8k dominating the market within two years. 4k will be a small bump in the road from HD to 8k.

The biggest push for 8k will be VR. Full 360 degree VR in 8k will still appear lower res than true 8k (to account for a picture that is stretched around a viewport), but it will start to feel more realistic. From what I‘be seen of VR demos so far, the graphics just aren’t there yet. I’d much rather play games on a traditional TV in 4k.

dDave

V.I.P.
With the rate that technology is improving, I wouldn’t be surprised to see 8k dominating the market within two years. 4k will be a small bump in the road from HD to 8k.

The biggest push for 8k will be VR. Full 360 degree VR in 8k will still appear lower res than true 8k (to account for a picture that is stretched around a viewport), but it will start to feel more realistic. From what I‘be seen of VR demos so far, the graphics just aren’t there yet. I’d much rather play games on a traditional TV in 4k.
The biggest thing they need in TV technology is a way to add depth to the image effectively. Shuttered 3D glasses were awful. I liked curved screens but they’re not nearly as good for general use, only good for specific settings and uses.

I think the 8K adoption will be a lot slower than 4K even if sets come down in price.

A lot of studios are just upgrading to full HD let alone 4K. Certainly in the broadcast space won’t go 8K for a while.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Technology 6
Mirage Technology 9
Hilander Offbeat News 3
Blur Technology 0