• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PlayStation 3 $841 million loss

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I hope Sony can pull together and keep things going, HOWEVER, if they end up killing their gaming division altogether, that wouldn't be the end of the world either. Chances are all of their exclusive titles would move to the XBOX anyway so we would still get the games.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Playstation console line. Three big systems isn't really something that has worked in the past either. There was Nintendo and Sega, and the Sony came along. Sega got pushed out of the market, and then Microsoft came along. Seems like of the three, Sony could be the next to go.

I think the gaming industry would be better off with two main consoles anyway.

Gwiz

Registered Member
THat's a really big loss and they won;t recover from it. However, I can't picture Sony being out of the gaming industry. The PS2 will still be coming out with games for another 5 years.

dDave

V.I.P.
I would be fine with SONY getting out of the gaming industry, I really didn't play any of the Playstation games at all except Gran Turismo 3 and 4 and someday 5 because the games really didn't impress me like the did for some people. Nintendo will always have my favorite gaming systems because they are just better than everyone else, I have always wondered whether or not SEGA would ever make a new system, I'm sure that a new SEGA system would sell very well, I recall SEGA competing very well with Nintendo back in the day.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
A new SEGA system would not sell very well at all. They are too similar to Nintendo now in their exclusive games (only Sonic is no fun anymore) so how could they possibly compete? They are better off staying out of the kitchen in this case. :D

Gwiz

Registered Member
In the past, Nintendo made a big mistake that nearly took them out of the gaming industry. You know that Sony made a chip for Nintendo and Nintendo decline to buy it from them. Then, Sony took the chip and made Playstation 1 and the rest is history.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yep. That's funny that you bring that up. If only Nintendo wouldn't have had Sony make it in the first place. Sega might still be here, but most importantly, the PS1,2,and 3 would have never existed. Original Playstation was HUGE, and so was the PS2. I just think gamers aren't ready to spend $600+ on a system.

The price of consoles is one of the reasons I have become a PC gamer almost exclusively. I just like the convenience of already having a PC as opposed to having to buy a new console every 6 years.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well that's true SEGA is doing quite well without having their own system, Hopefully their games improve though

sonic 2 adventure battle was kinda fun but not as fun as the side scrolling games, playing as Tails was certainly not as fun due to the robot suit.

SamusAran86

Registered Member
sega-sammy wont do it... the Saturn failed, the Dremcast failed and not to mention all the add-ons that failed, thats why they are out of the race now

Im more mad at the fact that Nintendo gets all ports (besides the monkey ball series) and they supported MS with a AWSOME game they havent ported to any other system, which in hence sold VERY poorly