• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies 83rd Academy Awards (Results)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay, so we had the nomination thread, and now that the awards are well and truly over it's time to discuss the results.

Best Picture: The King's Speech

Best Director: Tom Hooper – The King's Speech

Best Actor: Colin Firth – The King's Speech

Best Actress: Natalie Portman – Black Swan

Best Supporting Actor: Christian Bale – The Fighter

Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo – The Fighter

Best Writing – Original Screenplay: The King's Speech – David Seidler

Best Writing – Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network – Aaron Sorkin

Best Animated Feature: Toy Story 3 – Lee Unkrich

Best Foreign Language Film: In a Better World (Denmark)

Best Documentary – Feature: Inside Job – Charles H. Ferguson and Audrey Marrs

Best Documentary – Short: Strangers No More – Karen Goodman and Kirk Simon

Best Live Action Short Film: God of Love – Luke Matheny

Best Animated Short Film: The Lost Thing – Andrew Ruhemann and Shaun Tan

Best Original Score: The Social Network – Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Best Original Song: "We Belong Together" from Toy Story 3 – Randy Newman

Best Sound Editing: Inception – Richard King

Best Sound Mixing: Inception – Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo, and Ed Novick

Best Art Direction: Alice in Wonderland – Art Direction: Robert Stromberg; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara

Best Cinematography: Inception – Wally Pfister

Best Makeup: The Wolfman – Rick Baker and Dave Elsey

Best Costume Design: Alice in Wonderland – Colleen Atwood

Best Film Editing: The Social Network – Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

Best Visual Effects: Inception – Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley, and Peter Bebb

As for my thoughts on the show I was a bit disappointed with the ceremony this year. Anne Hathaway and James Franco weren't good hosts... to me anyway. For one thing James Franco was hardly ever there, it was basically just a big Anne Hathaway fest and most of the time she was trying too hard for laughs that just weren't there. Also, why start the show with some big Alec Baldwin skit? Alec Baldwin hasn't even been in many films for years as he is mainly a TV actor now.

For me though the worst part was the little auto-tuned segment where they made songs out of all of the nominated films for best picture. That made me cringe and feel embarrassed for the whole academy. Also when Randy Newman was performing his fantastic song I'm pretty sure they didn't even have his mic on, you could hardly hear him which was very poorly organised.

I also didn't like the way they presented the 10 nominee's for Best Picture, showing different clips with The King's Speech audio dominating the whole thing. Toy Story 3 was hardly even shown at all, and with one film clearly dominating the rest it was basically a givaway to who would win. I hate to mainly say negative things about it but this year just didn't live up to previous years shows for me.

What did you think of it?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Damn you people! No one at all wants to discuss this years Oscars? It took me about 40 minutes to type out this thread! Oh well, I suppose it doesn't surprise me as the awards pretty much sucked this year.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Haha, I was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this earlier either. I'm curious to watch King's Speech before (just when I get into a somber mood) and now more than before because of the awards it got. I watched Black Swan and I think Portman deserves the award. I was hoping Dragon would beat Toy Story but TS3 was also good. I used to watch the award on the telly but now I just wait for online news about it. Maybe if they had Billy Crystal....

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hmm, what do you mean by needing to be in a somber mood to watch The King's Speech? That film is actually quite funny, I would almost put it in a comedy category. I think Portman deserved the award as well. Though I'm glad Toy Story 3 won. I liked HTTYD but for me it was mainly the visuals and the music I liked best. DreamWorks still managed to ruin it with all those cheesy, cringeworthy lines of dialogue.

Impact

V.I.P.
Sorry, I already discussed everything I had to say about the results in the other oscars thread you made, before you made a results one.

I'm glad Christian Bale won Best Supporting Actor. Not fussed on ever seeing The Kings Speech because i'm not a fan of Colin Firth.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Sorry, I already discussed everything I had to say about the results in the other oscars thread you made, before you made a results one.
Oh yes I see it now, there are two posts of post-awards discussion. Sorry if I come off as pushy or anything, it's just this is really different to me. My old forum (the one I was on before I came here) was a film and tv discussion forum. When it was Academy Award time over there there would be about 20 different threads full of discussion each time.

Also, I don't like Colin Firth either, and because of that I didn't want to see The King's Speech. I did end up seeing it though because of some other actors in it that I liked and enjoyed the film quite a lot.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Hmm, what do you mean by needing to be in a somber mood to watch The King's Speech? That film is actually quite funny, I would almost put it in a comedy category. I think Portman deserved the award as well. Though I'm glad Toy Story 3 won. I liked HTTYD but for me it was mainly the visuals and the music I liked best. DreamWorks still managed to ruin it with all those cheesy, cringeworthy lines of dialogue.
Coz when I was available to watch something back then (it was an option to see), I picked cheesy movies that don't require much attention to enjoy...a quick feel-good one. My impression of the King's Speech is that it is a movie that is worth paying attention to and wanted to reserve it for my more serious movie watching days.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Ah yes I know those times. The King's Speech is perhaps one best enjoyed at home on DVD or Blu-Ray. Sometimes I find I enjoy films even more that way.