• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

80% of ‘dark net’ traffic is to child abuse sites

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Research claims that paedophilia sites using Tor’s ‘hidden services’ technology attract many more visits than drug markets and whistleblower sites

Study claims more than 80% of ‘dark net’ traffic is to child abuse sites
While these sites are only 2% of the hidden services they get 80% of the traffic. What a sick bunch of people. Wish they could catch these pedophiles. Hate seeing children abused to satisfy some sickos fantasy.

Thoughts?

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
Tor has responded to the research by questioning its accuracy, suggesting that the figures may include visits to paedophilia websites from law enforcement and anti-abuse groups, as well as denial of service attacks from hackers trying to take these websites down.
To be fair, this sort of thing (especially DDOS attacks) could easily render any attempt to study traffic at these sites sketchy at best. I would assume that pedo sites get slammed regularly with DDOS attacks.

- Cham

dDave

V.I.P.
Given the extremely illegal nature of most of the content on the dark net does this statistic actually surprise anybody? Stuff like that sells on the adult side of things in broad daylight every single day, it's very popular and we all know it. There's a lot of sick stuff happening right under our noses in our own cities that we fail to see (for example, I know I live next to one of the biggest trafficking highways in America).

Cham also has a great point that most definitely skews the statistics. Even still, the numbers are disturbing no matter what they are.

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think its great if these sites receive lots of DOS attacks. That should be a national pastime to give them all the grief that you can.

I agree that you never know what is going on right under your own nose. People have a way of hiding their sick behavior. They do that because they know it is sick. That's why when someone is exposed as a pedo people just can't believe it.

dDave

V.I.P.
DOS attacks are a form of hacking, and hacking is illegal. Does one illegal activity justify another?

- Cham
To serve the purpose that these DOS attacks do? I would argue that it is justified.

I recognize the importance of the rule of law but I also recognize that vigilantism isn't inherently bad, it's only inherently illegal. Illegal does not necessarily equal bad.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BigBob Baseball 1