8 year-old bride (groom is 50+)

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by ysabel, Apr 30, 2009.

1. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Young Saudi girl's marriage ended

Arranged marriages? That doesn't surprise me. I know some who have been in one.

What interests me in this article is the age of bride. Why would someone want an 8yo bride? And this man is in his 50s, although I saw another article related to this in which they say he's in his 60s...either way, you cannot disregard the generation gap here.

Father's decision trumps mother's decision? Not only that, it was to pay off a debt. :stare:

I wonder how common these cases are over there and in other countries. I'm glad I don't live in a place where this is allowed. The good side to the story is that the marriage was finally annulled (thanks to public outrage).

2. Lesley

Lesley Registered Member

The first thing that came to my mind was WHAT THE F*CK IS WRONG WITH THAT GIRL'S FATHER?

He should be brought up on charges, as should the "groom". Sick bastards. And of course the father's decision trumps the mother's. Women are merely property over there.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

This is pretty extreme. It's horrible that he can just sell her off to whomever he sees fit just to pay off a debt.

That is seriously fucked up, as ysabel said I'm glad they dont allow this sort of stuff in the country I live in.

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

We're talking about a society that accepts this kind of thing. As it states in the article, it's "not against Islamic law to marry off girls who are 15 and younger". Not only that, Saudi Arabia has a form of Sunni Islam. All of this leads to the fact that while we can judge, we can't do jack shit. It's up to the country as a whole to decide if they should keep the practice or not.

5. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Not too long ago, women were put into arranged marriages almost as soon as they got their first period so that they could start a family. And that was completely acceptable. Then all of a sudden "love" came about and people started marrying eachother at whatever age.

Though I do see a problem with a 50+ year old marrying an 8 year old, the judge did put the stipulation on the marriage that they can't have sex until the girl hit puberty. And even though I don't know anything about the situation, it seems like the girl is simply collateral and the guy is holding on to her. They said that the father married her away so that he could pay for a debt, right? And that the guy that he married his daughter off to was his friend, right? Putting two and two together, I'd guess that the guy married off his daughter to his friend so that the daughter stays within reach of the original family, and the debt is paid off.

6. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I was going to say the same thing.

It's hard to resist that imperialistic urge to waltz over there and slap these people on the wrists but this is how their culture runs. Now the question becomes, can it ever be right to impose our culture on others simply because they go against our beliefs? The answer to me is no, but it's hard to say that knowing what happens in countries like Saudi Arabia.

7. Lesley

Lesley Registered Member

IMHO, that's the type of country who we should cut off completely from world trade... there's far more heinous stuff occuring there than there is in Cuba. But of course, because they have the oil, they're free to do whatever fucked up shit they choose to do and nobody will say a damn thing.
    ------

When it comes to protecting children from sickos who want to sell their children or take child brides...HELL YES!!!

It's not just our view...it's the view of probably every civilized nation in the world that children are not property to be married off to the highest bidder.

8. Hiei

Hiei The Hierophant

Why? Just because you don't agree with it, that doesn't make it wrong. In fact, that makes you a bigot.

9. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I suggest you read some previous posts. It's ludicrous to say they're doing this stuff and getting away with it because they have oil. It's actually beyond crazy if you know your history. It's been part of their society for awhile now and it's simply a cultural that still works on a severely patriarchal set of principles that our country is working it's way out of (supposedly).

Not to mention, if you think this is heinous enough to get them cut off from world trade, why hasn't the US been cut off from anything after dropping nukes on Japan?

Just saying.
    ------
    Sorry, but this sort of thinking is what's wrong with our country. This boils down to the "right vs. wrong" argument really because we're so convinced we have everything right that we force ourselves on other nations.

I'll ask you another question: Let's say your kid is required to take a course at school called, "Allah is the only way" where for an hour every day at school, they're forced into a class about Allah and how he is the one truth god, basically a conversion class. Would you be okay with that?

10. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

And then a shit-storm occurs. If a foreign country marches in and states "This is how you're going to run your lives", there will be international outcries, regardless of what the world as a whole thinks of the situation there. Plus, it would be seen as an hostile invasion, and every country allied to Saudi Arabia will call war on that country.

I'm sorry, but there is nothing we can peacefully do, and it's downright retarded to go the hostile route.