768MB Video Cards

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
It seems like just a year or so ago 256MB cards were the hot item.. That has since tripled.

Here is quite possible the best card on the market right now: CompUSA.com: BFG Technologies GeForce 8800 GTX Video Card, PCI Express, 768MB GDDR3 - BFGR88768GTXE - Computer Upgrades » Video Cards

I could certainly find a nice home for it.. :)

Does anybody here have one? What ard are you running and when do you plan to upgrade?

I currently have a 256MB, and bought a 512 a few days ago but will probably be returning it since it's an ATI and I found out that my motherboard doesn't support crossfire. I'd rather get two nVidias and do SLI, since my board is actually advertised as an SLI board. :)

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I'm going to start saving pocket money for a new setup. I figure I can sell this one for a few hundred. My next one will have dual 512's, unless the 768's are readily available by then.

Reverend

Registered Member
Yowch! $650 for a video card. <shudder>

I think I'll wait for a bit on that one. I'm not doing enough high-end gaming at the moment to justify the sticker price.

I'm running an ATI card with only 128MB on my main work machine, but it has dual DVI outputs. I use a laptop most of the time at home, but my gaming machine (P4 2.54GHz) has an older GeForce 256MB card in it that I have overclocked.

I think I need a newer computer before I can justify a bigger card. Or I can wait a while until they come down to a reasonable price ;)

Pete

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
$650 is not alot. The video card in my Mac cost $1000 but is has tons of ports and software with it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
What comes with the video card in your Mac? Macs have really good video technology so I'm not surprised by that price.

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
It is a Matrox RTMac Pro Video Capture Card and it comes with RCA jack S-Video (Y/C) input/output Mini-DIN input/output VGA display output that drives a second computer monitor for dual-screen editing 48 kHz stereo audio input/output genlocked to video for perfect sync.

It was cool testing the dual-screen. I was able to have the forum here displayed in right monitor while looking at Google in the left.

Reverend

Registered Member
Yeah, those Matrox cards are cool. But it is more than a video card, it has the video capture capabilities. I still think that $650 is a lot for a card, especially if all I would be doing on it would be gaming ;)

Pete

hawklen

Registered Member
My step nephew has that vid card. Its a nice card, does all the new games without a hiccup. I wants to steals its.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Damn, I still haven't gotten around to building myself that new computer. I need some cash to put into the "my computer is aging" fund.