• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

74 School Shootings Since Newtown

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
There have been 74 school shootings in the last 18 months since Sandy Hook. I didn't realize there had been so many and at the link there is a map that shows you where they all were. Only a few states didn't have any.

All 74 School Shootings Since Newtown, In One Depressing Map

There have always been school shootings but not like now. The earliest known one was in 1764 when 4 native Americans killed a schoolmaster and 9 or 10 children. Here's a list of all known shootings starting with the 1764 shooting up until the present day.

List of school shootings in the United States

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
A lot of those were gang related and some were suicides. There were also some cases of a firearm going off accidentally. Schools are gun free zones thus this shouldn't be happening at all, huh?

We have a real problem with dealing with mental health issues in this country, and we have big time gang problems. It's no wonder there is so much violence, I'm shocked to find people surprised by this.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Schools being gun free zones are a joke.

Yes some were gang related and suicides, not to mention spousal shootings but they took place on School property.

Mental issues are at the root of most of these shootings and as a nation we aren't dealing with it very well.

dDave

V.I.P.
There have been 74 school shootings in the last 18 months since Sandy Hook. I didn't realize there had been so many and at the link there is a map that shows you where they all were. Only a few states didn't have any.

All 74 School Shootings Since Newtown, In One Depressing Map

There have always been school shootings but not like now. The earliest known one was in 1764 when 4 native Americans killed a schoolmaster and 9 or 10 children. Here's a list of all known shootings starting with the 1764 shooting up until the present day.

List of school shootings in the United States
If by a few you mean 17 (I think that's how many I see) then yeah, a few states don't have any shootings at schools in the past 18 months.

A lot of those were gang related and some were suicides. There were also some cases of a firearm going off accidentally. Schools are gun free zones thus this shouldn't be happening at all, huh?

We have a real problem with dealing with mental health issues in this country, and we have big time gang problems. It's no wonder there is so much violence, I'm shocked to find people surprised by this.
How exactly do you deal with mental health though? I fully agree that we have a problem in that area but I'm at a complete loss when it comes to actually finding a solution.

Do we just medicate these people? Many of these shooters are already on drugs like Ritalin, that obviously isn't doing the trick. Do we give these people therapy? Institutionalize them?

What can we really do to treat mental health issues?

Schools being gun free zones are a joke.

Yes some were gang related and suicides, not to mention spousal shootings but they took place on School property.

Mental issues are at the root of most of these shootings and as a nation we aren't dealing with it very well.
Same question. What do we actually do about the mental health issues?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I didn't bother to count them, I could see that most states did have shootings so I said a few.

I have no idea except maybe better access to mental health care which is lacking in this country.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Theres only been 2 school shootings in our state but one was just a suicide. They should learn from these shootings how to make better decisions about who is dangerous to society and institutionalize them. And they need to start making better decisions before the problem gets worse.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
Theres only been 2 school shootings in our state but one was just a suicide. They should learn from these shootings how to make better decisions about who is dangerous to society and institutionalize them. And they need to start making better decisions before the problem gets worse.
"Preemptive Institutionalization" sounds like an amazing nightmare.

It's not as easy as saying "mental health" as I'm sure we're all aware. It's about the mental health of this nation and how we begin to fix it as well. People are raised in a country where the culture is essentially built on fear. When you raise a society of people surrounded by fear, teaching them to fear others, stripping them of privacy, punishing them for any steps out of line rather than helping them understand their mistakes, and providing them a lackluster education while in a consumerism culture where the ultimate goal is "more more more", you're going to start breeding some nuts. Can they be saved? In my mind, several of these shooters could have been saved or had their choices altered if people were more focused on listening and solving the problem.

I mean, what happens when these stories take place? Were guns involved? Well, now the story is predictable. No matter what happened, it WILL degrade into a gun debate because the easiest scapegoat that requires the least amount of thinking is to go "lolguns duh" and cry about gun control. Then the media gets a hold of it, then the politicians and before you know it, the tragedy is four or five layers beneath the shit pile. Don't get me wrong, gun control can still be very, very relevant to these stories if it turns out the shooter had a very easy time getting one or something similar, but most of the times it does not seem to be the case.

Ignoring the gun argument, we have a serious social stigma about mental health here in the US. I'd be willing to bet that at least a solid 75% of Americans could not accurately tell you what schizophrenia is or would completely misdiagnose it OR use it like a broad label when talking about most mental health problems. I pick schizophrenia because it's a term that has silently crept in the depths of our vernacular and surfaces from time to time like a shark fin, scaring the swimmers out of the water. Starting from a young age, I believe a lot of kids are still given this all-American brand of "deal with it" attitude from their elders.

Concerns about popularity at school? Bummer.

You feel ugly and out of place? You'll grow out of it.

It feels like nobody loves you or you feel lost? Get a dog.

Having thoughts of harming yourself? Don't be so dramatic.

I believe a lot of this violence can be prevented during school years before college with proper care of and attention paid to our youth. I mean, shit, only recently do people suddenly care about bullying and the effects it has on kids. It took some girl drinking herself to death with a bottle of bleach to get peoples' attention which, when you think about it, is absolutely terrifying (that THIS is what it took to kick-start the motor). I share this opinion because I think if you look at the shooters these past years, most of them are young, loner males.

But this is just me.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
"Preemptive Institutionalization" sounds like an amazing nightmare.

It's not as easy as saying "mental health" as I'm sure we're all aware. It's about the mental health of this nation and how we begin to fix it as well. People are raised in a country where the culture is essentially built on fear. When you raise a society of people surrounded by fear, teaching them to fear others, stripping them of privacy, punishing them for any steps out of line rather than helping them understand their mistakes, and providing them a lackluster education while in a consumerism culture where the ultimate goal is "more more more", you're going to start breeding some nuts. Can they be saved? In my mind, several of these shooters could have been saved or had their choices altered if people were more focused on listening and solving the problem.

I mean, what happens when these stories take place? Were guns involved? Well, now the story is predictable. No matter what happened, it WILL degrade into a gun debate because the easiest scapegoat that requires the least amount of thinking is to go "lolguns duh" and cry about gun control. Then the media gets a hold of it, then the politicians and before you know it, the tragedy is four or five layers beneath the shit pile. Don't get me wrong, gun control can still be very, very relevant to these stories if it turns out the shooter had a very easy time getting one or something similar, but most of the times it does not seem to be the case.

Ignoring the gun argument, we have a serious social stigma about mental health here in the US. I'd be willing to bet that at least a solid 75% of Americans could not accurately tell you what schizophrenia is or would completely misdiagnose it OR use it like a broad label when talking about most mental health problems. I pick schizophrenia because it's a term that has silently crept in the depths of our vernacular and surfaces from time to time like a shark fin, scaring the swimmers out of the water. Starting from a young age, I believe a lot of kids are still given this all-American brand of "deal with it" attitude from their elders.

Concerns about popularity at school? Bummer.

You feel ugly and out of place? You'll grow out of it.

It feels like nobody loves you or you feel lost? Get a dog.

Having thoughts of harming yourself? Don't be so dramatic.

I believe a lot of this violence can be prevented during school years before college with proper care of and attention paid to our youth. I mean, shit, only recently do people suddenly care about bullying and the effects it has on kids. It took some girl drinking herself to death with a bottle of bleach to get peoples' attention which, when you think about it, is absolutely terrifying (that THIS is what it took to kick-start the motor). I share this opinion because I think if you look at the shooters these past years, most of them are young, loner males.

But this is just me.
School = Institutionalized. Home = Institutionalized. Its all about where you can go, what you can eat, how you can dress, who you can hang out with e t c.
And you think that going to a public school isnt a nightmare? 74 more school shootings and you could be next. /life.
Being institutionalized isnt /life. Its just get help before they off someone.

So kids are getting their arms and legs blown off in pre-emptive wars but pre-emptive isnt cool if it saves them?
And if they dont have a gun then they will probably just use a knife or a car or anything else. At a school in the UK they used an aerosol can and a cigarette lighter.

But I think you are right. If somebody kills people its just labelled "school shooting" and stuck in a folder. Explain it and /problem.
Its just something else in the news that never gets fixed.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.

Are you actually defending school shootings? I'm not sure if I'm seeing this correctly or not, but when I read what you say, it actually looks like you are defending them. What, is 74 not enough for you? Maybe in the next few months you can round it out to an even 100.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've read CO's post over and over and for the life of me I don't see how you can say he is defending school shootings.

What I get out of it is he is pointing out what kinds of shootings have taken place and that lack of mental health care is part of the problem.