• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

'73 dead' after truck crashes into crowd at Bastille Day celebrations in Nice 'terror attack'

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
ISIS would claim responsibility for someone farting. They are a joke, they claim responsibility over every little thing that happens whether they knew anything about it or not.
On TV this morning they said no one is claiming responsibility so that was just a rumor but I wouldn't be surprised if ISIS does eventually.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
ISIS isn't a joke. And they aren't the JV team. They are well coordinated and they are determined to fulfill their goal of establishing a world wide caliphate and kill all infidels. Taking them lightly is exactly why this keeps happening.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people killed and their families. I also pray we start taking this threat seriously and do more about it, to avoid future tragedies like this.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Way to ruin our fireworks celebration. Now each time I saw a white truck today, and there are plenty, I have the urge to walk faster.‎

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
The truck driver was a 30 yo Tunisian that moved to France and was well-known to the French police. So why did they let him have grenades and guns and why weren't they watching him?
From what I've read, he was a petty criminal. Not sure what you mean by "well-known to police" or "why weren't they watching him?" But I don't think police departments anywhere devote or have the resources to put every single petty criminal under surveillance. You're also assuming that he obtained all of his weapons legally if you think they "let" him have them. Last I read, they're still investigating how he obtained the weapons.

The terrorists name was Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhiel. He was yelling "Allahu Akbar" (god is great) before they shot him. Great at what? Massacres? Police believe he had an accomplice. He totally was a radicalized Islamist that the French vetting process totally missed. He was never known to the French Intelligence service.
I'm not sure about the legitimacy of the report of him yelling "Allahu Akbar." I haven't seen that widely reported. Could be true. Who knows. People who knew the guy say he was not very religious, and he wasn't known to be seen at any mosques. To claim he was "totally a radicalized Islamist" is perhaps a bit premature, even if it turns out to be true.

Tunisian authorities did not know him to hold radical or Islamist views, so there's only so much the French vetting process could have picked up on.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Tunisian authorities did not know him to hold radical or Islamist views, so there's only so much the French vetting process could have picked up on.
No they can't be vetted which is why we shouldn't be bringing so many Muslim refugees here.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
No they can't be vetted which is why we shouldn't be bringing so many Muslim refugees here.
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure how that's remotely relevant.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Nobody anywhere can be vetted with absolute 100% certainty, so with that logic every country might as well stop immigration entirely.

You realize there are over 120,000 Tunisians living in southern France? A few of them are bound to be bad people by virtue of the law of large numbers, but sometimes you just can't predict that any of them will be capable of pulling off a devastating terrorist attack.

thealigator

Registered Member
I do not mean to disrespect anyone here, I also don't want to get ranty and or preachy but what worries me is that once again the Muslim community are going to be entirely associated with this like every other atrocity committed "under the name" of Allah. This to me is pure scare monger tactics mainly brought on by, surprise surprise, the media. It also amazes me when it is found out that it was in the cause of ISIS or Allah and yet I rarely see any actual footage proving this.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not want to see someone bellowing themselves up before shouting this just to prove my point I am simply saying that it comes across as scare tactics because we need something to fight against and to be fearful of, that is how a government controls the world and this is how the media controls and shapes the minds of many.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm still wrapping my head around this. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of France, which is something that is happening far too often. I hope that all of this tragedy in recent years can lead to some viable, long-term solutions to terrorism so at least these losses can mean something.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
3rd terrorist attack in about 18 months in France now. Something needs to be done to avoid future tragedies like this. There's clearly a discomfort in France when it comes down to Muslim immigrants that eventually brings out the radicalization of some. Are they treated that badly in France for so much horrific events to happen that often?