• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

$72K to keep son in upgraded jail cell after he killed girl

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Contrary to the concept of “equal justice for all,” multiple Southern California cities offer upgraded jail cells with phones, DVD players, and full-sized refrigerators to offenders who can afford the daily rate, reports KNBC.
Orange County family paid $72K to keep son in upgraded jail cell after he killed girl while drunk driving

This is so stupid, if you have been convicted of a crime you should have to stay in the same type of cell as everyone else I don't care how rich you are. It needs to feel like punishment not like your away at camp.

Thoughts?

Stego

Registered Member
I think that mass incarceration is an indication of our failures elsewhere in society and that, along the way, they realized it was a great way to make money and provide ("make up") jobs. The prison is a place where we sweep beneath the rug the things we couldn't fix (or broke). The people who need rehabilitation need help not jail, and the people who have really hurt people or taken something big away from our society need to work off their crimes.

Why don't we have chain gangs anymore? Picking up litter isn't enough. I want to see full-on work being done. I think he should pay back through work.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
If I had my way, felons would be too busy working the chain gang in their powder pink jumpsuits to have time for DVD's and phone conversations. And as for the fridge, MRE's are portable and don't need refrigeration. Bleedin' heart liberals have turned prisons into hotels. Might as well have room service and maids to turn down the beds for them. Jail is SUPPOSED to be unpleasant so folks REALLY don't want to go there, or if they have been there, REALLY don't want to go back. It seems government doesn't get that anymore. The money shouldn't be made off of upgraded cells/suites, it should be made off the F'ing toll road the inmates build.

- Cham

dDave

V.I.P.
Allowing people to stay in special cells apart from medical and solitary confinement.

Prison should be punishment and rehabilitation. I don't see how luxurious cells are going to help with that in any way.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A detective made the comment these cells were for good people that made a mistake. So if your well off your good people but if you aren't your not. Just because your well off doesn't mean your good people and because your poor your not. There are good and bad people in all walks of life.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
If anything, the ones who require the harshest wake-up call are the elitist pr!cks who think they're special because they come from a rich family and can do whatever they want. This fellow hasn't been charged with manslaughter (oops, I gave my girlfriend a pat on the back and she slipped off a cliff) he's been charged with murder. "Good people" doesn't even enter into it. "Mistake" doesn't even enter into it. There was a time folks like this would be strung up as an example to others regardless of how much money they had. "Good people"... Pfft!

- Cham

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Ah yes, the joys of America's for-profit prison systems.

It's disgusting how much different the wealthy are treated in this country.