7 String Guitars

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by Mirage, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Has anybody else here ever played a 7 string guitar?

I bought one a few years back and realized very quickly that I should have gone with a 6 string. I have not played it since. :lol:

I kept it though because it looks cool. It's a Shecter A-7 Diamond Series that looks almost identical to this:

[​IMG]

It sounds pretty hardcore when played by somebody with skill. Anybody ever played one of these?

2. greyham_G

greyham_G Registered Member

Never played one, but thought about buying one recently, but i decided to go with the Ibanez XV500 in the other thread i made. Nice looking guitar though. I can't really say what i would expect from a 7-string. I don't think i would ever seriously consider buying one because its not very often you run into a song that needs a 7-string, and i think a 6-string fulfills all my writing and playing needs.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yeah, that's why I wish I didn't get one. I don't even listen to KoRn. What was I thinking. :lol:

Basically a 7 string has an extra low E string which gives you a more hardcore sound useful in certain types of grunge. As somebody who owns one but hasn't played it much that's about all I can tell you. It does sound great when played by somebody who knows how to use it and it definitely is a different sound than a normal 6 string but it's more suited for somebody who has already mastered a 6 string.

4. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

If you think a 7 string sounds good, try a 12 string =P I bought an old acoustic 12 string at a garage sale for 20 bucks a few years back. It was missing some tuning pegs, but I was able to string it as a 6 string. i would love to get the body of it fixed and some new pegs for it though so I can play it as a 12 string.

5. greyham_G

Ya, the extra low string would make the real hardcore metal riffs sounds awesome. I wish i could play one, i want to see what kind of possibilities that extra string opens up, but for now drop-d tuning is good enough lol.

My friends dad is a luthier and they always have tons of guitar laying around and ill be over there and go looking through the guitar cases and sometimes ill find a 12 string and i love playing them. The sound you get from a really nice one is amazing. If i sell one of my acoustics i might have to get a 12 string lol

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

My boyfriend has always been a 7-string player. He drop tunes it to give it a heavier sound, but he plays death metal, or well all sorts of metal really. He had the opposite problem.. He bought a 6-string recently and it just sits there looking pretty because it doesn't give him the sound he looks for. He is looking at picking up Ibanez's 8-string pretty soon. Which is all fine and dandy for him, but I couldn't even get my fingers around the neck to play it lol.

7. greyham_G

Its not that a 6-string isn't acceptable for death metal and such, but i can imagine playing and getting used to a 7-string and then trying to revert to a 6-string could be a little tough. But ya, a drop tuned 7-string would be an intensely hardcore sound, super fun to play i can imagine, hopefully i get the chance.

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

He said his biggest problem was that he kept going for the 7th string and it wasn't there. Everything he had written just didn't work for him on a 6 string.. and i have to laugh everytime I listen to him play the 6-string because it sounds like he is just starting to play guitar, okay not that bad, but something about it always sounds off.
    Yeah i love the sound of it drop tuned, it is really nice and then he has every effect pedal under the sun and always installs different pick-ups in his guitars.. I just stick to the basics and play for the fun of it, but his band is pretty crazy, so I guess it all works out for him.

I am sure you will get the chance to play one or if you have a guitar store locally just go goof off with it there.

9. SetInStone

SetInStone Registered Member

I played a 7 string once at a music store, it's so fun. Especially when it's tuned down to G#:lol:

10. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I'd wonder what a 7 String would sound in a blues tune? Like Drifting Blues or a similar song. Especially on a semi hollow. Has potential to have a beefy and powerful tone.