• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upholds PPACA

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
We've seen some courts agree/disagree with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act at this point, but from what the AP article linked below says, this is the first ruling on it from a federal appeals court.

The-Review.com - Breaking News, World & Local News, Sports & Multimedia

Thoughts on this ruling? Is it significant because it is at the federal level this time?

Also, according to who I think is a University of Richmond law professor, Carl Tobias' quote in the interview: a somewhat conservative judge (Sutton) delivered the decisive vote and basically agreed with another judge (Martin) while carefully choosing words in summarizing his thoughts. Is this also significant on a political level?
------
Just wanted to also add a link to this article that was in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch today...it kind of summarizes everything in a more clear/simplified way, talks about how two other appeal cases are getting more attention than this one, etc.

U.S. appeals court backs federal health care law

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I just want to point this was an Appelate decision, those links you provided, Pro, are from a lower federal court.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
And actually, Pro, I do remember us discussing these. I'm sure about the Florida ruling because in looking at the article I remembered the name of Judge Vinson. I feel like I remember Virginia, but I can't say the same about remembering Judge Hudson's name.

The VA ruling was from December, and the Florida one from January...I only posted this because of what I had said in the first sentence in the OP,
We've seen some courts agree/disagree with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act at this point, but from what the AP article linked below says, this is the first ruling on it from a federal appeals court.
There will be more court decisions coming down the road, for sure...this isn't anything final in terms of the legal battles that exist. It was just a significant ruling because it was at the federal level, and because it involved a judge that had a conservative reputation voting in favor of PPACA.