65th Anniversary of Iwo Jima

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by pro2A, Feb 19, 2010.

1. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I'm a big WW2 history buff and today marked the beginning of the invasion of Iwo Jima... or as I like to call it, the D-Day of the Pacific. This battle marked the beginning of the end for Japan.

YouTube - Battle of Iwo Jima

This is also the battle where this famous photo was taken:

[​IMG]

This was a bloody battle that was a major turning point in the pacific and is often overlooked in the history books as one of the bigger battles of WW2. What do you think about Iwo Jima? Why was it fought and was the outcome worth it?

2. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I've generally think of the bombing of Hiroshima as the beginning of the end, but yeah, pretty much agree with you otherwise.

3. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

Hiroshima was the end. I'm talking in the context that this was the first major offensive on Japanese soil in effect pushing back their "Empire" and for once putting them on the defensive.

That means that they were beginning to loose ground and thus the term "Beginning of the end". Iwo Jima is when the Japs began to shit the bed in combat, and it only went down hill from there.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  4. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

You twat Pro. I was going to post this.

I actually like to think of the Invasion of the Phillipines the beginning of the end. Japan lost a major piece of real estate, suffered a massive naval and land defeat, and lost several prominent resources, including rubber and oil. From that point on, Japan was losing on a huge scale. To Okinawa, Marianas Turkey Shoot, and then Iwo Jima.

And, Letters From Iwo Jima was on earlier today on AMC. Fucking awesome