• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

6 tons of ivory to be destroyed in U.S.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
(CBS News) The United States will take action Thursday to ease a crisis in the animal world.

Rock crusher to destroy six tons of ivory in U.S. effort to smash illicit industry - CBS News video
6 tons of it, how many elephants had to die to provide that amount of ivory. I wish more governments would take part in this if it really helps, which I have my doubts but its worth a try.

I hope the million dollar reward helps catch some of the upper dogs smuggling this ivory into the Asian market. Most of the time they only get the guy killing the elephants and he is easily replaceable so it doesn't do much good.

dDave

V.I.P.
While I definitely have a problem with killing animals just to get the ivory, I don't see how getting rid of ivory that we already have is going to solve anything.

I think the only way to stop this from happening is to get to the source of the problem, that means that people need to stop the demand for it. It's just like any black market, cut off the demand for it and it is no longer profitable. Disgusting the things people do to get money though.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes stopping the source would be the way to go but your going to have to convince a Asian culture that thinks it will make them live longer or more manly that it won't. If the Asian governments don't get involved I'm afraid anything anyone else does won't stop it.

I don't think the million reward will help much because they are probably afraid of these people just like people are afraid of drug lords.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
While I definitely have a problem with killing animals just to get the ivory, I don't see how getting rid of ivory that we already have is going to solve anything.

I think the only way to stop this from happening is to get to the source of the problem, that means that people need to stop the demand for it. It's just like any black market, cut off the demand for it and it is no longer profitable. Disgusting the things people do to get money though.
Destroying it sends a message. A lot of people went to a lot of trouble to get that much ivory, and if it's destroyed then it means it can't be used for anything, by anyone ever again. It's no use taking illegal ivory off people and then using it to make things. That sends the wrong message.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
It might send a message but the big question is will it be received. I hope this does help but I'm afraid the only thing that will happen is drive the price of ivory up. I think it will take the Asian countries getting more involved to do much good. There's too much money in it and now its funding terrorist organizations.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I understand that the thinking behind this is to send a message. But what good is that message? It doesn't help the approximately 1500 elephants that died to make up 6 tonnes of ivory (could be as much as 3000 elephants, but I'm going on the assumption they target the elephants with the biggest tusks, so basing it on 2kg per tusk, when in reality the average weight of one tusk is estimated at 1kg).

What worries me even more is that destroying this leaves a hole in the market. Now at least another 1500 elephants will have to be poached to fill that hole. An action like this is good, don't get me wrong. But it's not solving the problem and it may very well have just added to the problem.

The only hope our poor African Elephants have is educating Asians that their age old traditions are incorrect. And I don't see that coming about any time soon, sadly.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I still don't see how using the ivory would help anything. It just puts ivory products on the market, which is something that should be eliminated altogether. We don't need it, anything that can be made out of ivory can be made out of other things.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
We don't need it, anything that can be made out of ivory can be made out of other things.
Millions of Chinese disagree with you (and me) on this. Ivory is not only sought after for use of chop sticks or buttons or piano keys anymore. It is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine, which is an age old tradition to them, now even more fueled by the fact that a lot of Chinese are able to afford these exorbitant prices for these luxury items.

These are the same people fueling the rhino horn trade, bear bile farming and other animal atrocities. I say it again, the solution is far more complex than destroying 6 tons of ivory.

Then there is the ivory trade, where vast numbers of elephants are brutally killed for their ivory tusks because the Asian market pays well for them.
Chinese Medicines & Animal Cruelty