50% of South Korean 20-something women get plastic surgery

Another plastic surgery topic. This time with shocking news! O_O

Here are the quotes from the article that I found very interesting:

By conservative estimates, 50% of South Korean women in their 20s have had some form of cosmetic surgery. And in a recent poll, 70% of men said they would also consider surgical improvements.
A woman's magazine recently advised its readers to spend 30% of their incomes on looking good. The reason, you will end up with a better and richer husband and that has to be a sensible investment.
Women, and some men as well, send posed photographs to websites, where they can be ranked on their looks
She began with a double eyelid operation when she went to university. It is the most common procedure for Koreans, designed to make the eyes look bigger.
Pleased with the result she went back later to ask for a more statuesque nose.
But the surgeon had a suggestion of his own, an operation to make her chin more shapely and cutting from inside the mouth he inserted an implant.
Three years later, she still feels pain and discomfort, especially when the weather is cold.
But despite the experience she is now considering breast implants.
Source: BBC NEWS | Programmes | From Our Own Correspondent | The price of beauty in South Korea

Is this old news? To me I found this story VERY shocking and quite sad. Women getting plastic surgery to get richer husbands, men and women doing it for vanity and all these other reasons listed. I don't know whether I feel sad inside because the world is turning into this superficial place, or because I feel bad for humans believing they need to look "beautiful" to get what they want from life.

Very heartbreaking news... At least for me it is. =(

Last edited:

Nixola

Boom Boom Pow!
This is actually shocking for me also. What shocked me most was the woman who got her chin done up and she still feels pain and discomfort years on and she is actually wanting to go back and get more done! Why would she put herself through all that? For vanity reasons and to get a rich husband... people shouldn't judge so much on looks, it's getting out of control!

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's amazing how they're somehow made to feel ugly by other people in the society because of their natural features. I mean, if this kind of thinking wasn't reinforced somehow over there, I don't think that much amount of people would be going for "useless" surgery.