• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

5-year old shoots 4-year old while playing in D.C. area

BigBob

Registered Member
A 5-year-old boy shot his 4-year-old neighbor in the back at a Maryland playground, investigators said.

The shooting occurred on Thursday afternoon at an apartment complex in Hilcrest Heights in Prince George’s County, about 10 miles southeast of Washington D.C., the Washington Post reported.

The young victim, who suffered one gunshot wound to the torso, was taken to the local hospital and is expected to survive, according to Fox News.

The 5-year-old shooter was scared after the incident and reportedly ran home to hide the handgun, which was was later recovered by the police.

It's still not clear how the boy obtained the gun.

The shooter's uncle, 29-year-old Dee Johnson, told the Washington Post that the boy found the gun outside and claimed that the boy's mother, who lives in the apartment with three other children, does not keep guns in the house.

Neighbors told the paper the two boys frequently played outside together -- often unsupervised. One neighbor who would only speak anonymously said, “I think it’s sad, little kids out here playing and one of them gets shot.”
It's sad that a little kid like that could get a hold of a gun. It's good that his friend will be alright but this is why there are gun laws because stuff like this happens. If we didn't have gun laws, it would probably happen even more.

butty92

Registered Member
It is so irresponsible for someone to leave a gun hanging around, especially outside. People get access to guns far too easily in America these days and the worrying trend is the people seem to be getting younger all the time.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
Well to be honest, they arn't getting "younger" our media coverage just exposes it a lot more than before.

It's a sad thing to hear about, but let's be honest, it's going to continue to happen. I get kind've tired seeing all the "little kid shoots xxxx" news stories. The only thing I can say is parents should start getting charged more frequently for not taking care of their firearms and storing them safely. (I know that's not the case in this stroy)

SuiGeneris

blue 3
There has definately been a rise in population though. Before the age of super advance "we know what happens as soon as it happens" social media, how many gun crimes went unreported? To say that people today are more apt to shoot someone than 10 years ago is incorrect i.m.o.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So a couple of people have mentioned gun laws in this thread; is there a law that you think could be created/changed specifically for the purpose of protecting the children of gun owners? Or is this something that comes down to being a good parent?

I'm curious to hear what people think of that...to be honest, I don't know much at all about how current gun laws may or may not protect the children of gun owners.

butty92

Registered Member
There may have been a rise in population and with it, a rise in immigration and it tends to be in black communities where the problem of gun crime is at it's greatest. America is a more multicultural society that it was ten years ago, no doubt.

SuiGeneris

blue 3
There may have been a rise in population and with it, a rise in immigration and it tends to be in black communities where the problem of gun crime is at it's greatest. America is a more multicultural society that it was ten years ago, no doubt.
It is not an ethnic problem, it is a socio-economic problem. Are you telling me that the south american drug cartels and pushers from Mexico don't have guns?

Drop the race centralled view point and look at the real cause of gun crime. I can't believe I just read that in 2011. Even then, since when is immigration the cause of gun crimes? What on Earth?

White people don't like guns and/or misues guns apparently.

butty92

Registered Member
Immigration is a cause. Most black people in America live in the poorer areas and POVERTY is linked with gun crime as well.

Dekzper

Registered Member
It is not an ethnic problem, it is a socio-economic problem. Are you telling me that the south american drug cartels and pushers from Mexico don't have guns?

Drop the race centralled view point and look at the real cause of gun crime. I can't believe I just read that in 2011. Even then, since when is immigration the cause of gun crimes? What on Earth?

White people don't like guns and/or misues guns apparently.
The CDC could. Socio-economics are an important issue but the CDC is also surprised by the homocide rates for different racial/ethnic groups.
Please check the section "Health Disparities".
http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/YV-DataSheet-a.pdf

Homocide rates in 2010, amongst males 10-24 yo:
Non Hispanic, African-Americans = 60.7 per 100,000
Hispanics = 20.6 per 100,000
Non Hispanic, Whites = 3.5 per 100,000

Reasons can be discussed but those are the facts.

I blame the parents for this one. Kidz should be taught to report guns, not pick them up. They should also be supervised.