• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

5 Surprising reasons why you're gaining weight.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I thought this was interesting.

Lack of Sleep

The body functions best when well rested. "When you don't get enough sleep, your body experiences physiological stress and, biochemically, you store fat more efficiently," says May.
When you're tired, you also don't handle stress as well, so you may reach for food as a coping mechanism. Further, you may be taking in extra calories from late-night snacking. Some people think eating might help them get back to sleep, but all it really does is add more calories to their daily total.
Strive to get eight hours of sleep each night.

Stress

"Our bodies store fuel, slow down metabolism, and dump out chemicals [cortisol, leptin, and other hormones] which are more likely to cause ... obesity in the abdominal region."

Medications

Some prescription drugs used to treat depression, mood disorders, seizures, migraines, blood pressure, and diabetes can cause weight gain, from a modest amount to as much as 10 pounds per month. Some steroids, hormone replacement therapy, and even oral contraceptives may also cause gradual weight creep. Your medicine cabinet might be the cause of your weight gain if you've gained 5 or more pounds in a month without a change in your lifestyle.

Medical Condition

The most common medical condition that causes weight gain is hypothyroidism. A deficiency of thyroid hormone can decrease metabolism, causing appetite loss and weight gain.

Menopause

Women reach menopause at a range of ages, but most are in midlife and are often less physically active than when they were younger. Along with aging comes a natural slowing of metabolism. At the same time, hormonal changes can trigger hunger, depression, and poor sleep.
estrogen favors fat deposition in the lower body, and when you lose this hormone, fat is more likely to be deposited in the midsection (much like men).
For more ...
Source: 5 Surprising Reasons You're Gaining Weight

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm on medications for both seizures and on a oral steroid that's acting as one of my anti-rejection drugs after my kidney transplant (hopefully I'll be off of the second one soon).

The steroid, Prednisone, does increase appetite and water retention. That's one possibility as to why it would cause weight gain in people. I'm not going to pretend my diet, etc. doesn't have something to do with the gut I'm rocking, obviously, but the meds probably aren't helping.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I must add that this article is for those who eat in moderation and exercise. In spite of that, they still gain weight.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
None of this surprises me as I am teacher Jeanie.

Actually the lack of sleep one I did not know, but it makes sense. Sleep is so important and people have a tendency to underestimate its importance. Here's just one more reason to make an effort to get the right amount of sleep.

villhelm

But ultimately, if you eat more calories than your body burn, you gain weight.

Which really is a problem when there are ailments and the like which boosts your appetite and slow down your metabolism.

But anyhow, for the vast majority of overweight people the main problem is their diet and lifestyle.

It's also worth noting that many of the problems than can lead to an excess calorie intake can be partly (at least) fixed by simple exercise. For instance insomnia, depression, stress etc.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I'm skinny, although (thankfully) filling out a bit. Anyway, I find I can eat all the crap under the sun and don't gain weight. I suspect my metabolism is real good (genetic trait perhaps). My father and grandfather however are growing to be huge and huge in that order. They haven't always been, only as they've reached old age they've gained weight. --- Although my mother's side is proper skinny. I kinda wonder whether I will naturally become fat in old age due to my general diet, metabolism, genetics and attitude.

Anyway.
Perhaps weight is genetic? After all, I have noticed on programmes that show fat kids, their parents are not usually lampposts. So, maybe that has something to do with it? Although the food must contribute. I mean, if you stuff your face with eighty packets of crisps, a day, you are going to get fat. --- I watch my diet, although not to the extent of somebody on a diet, and generally have no problem with weight.

The above factors don't particularly address me, although I guess I suffer as much stress as the average and lose as much sleep as them too. Yet I am thin. Maybe this study is inaccurate, maybe I am an anomaly. I do not know. Yet that is me, so what the overall 'weight gain' cause of humanity is, well... I do not know. - Although, just in case I will bear them in mind, for when I reach 40-50 years of age. Nice!