$5 footlongs = $3.8 Billion

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
In fact, the $3.8 billion in sales generated nationwide by the $5 footlong alone placed it among the top 10 fast-food brands in the U.S. for the year ended in August, according to NPD Group. That puts the $5 menu's success just a notch behind KFC and ahead of Arby's and Domino's Pizza. It helped privately held Subway, of Milford, Conn., lift U.S. sales 17% last year at a time when most restaurant chains, save for industry leader McDonald's, struggled. Actually, make that soon-to-be-former industry leader McDonald's.

Subway's low-cost franchising model and mainstream appeal have allowed it to add 9,500 locations in the past five years, for a total of about 32,000 outlets. At its current growth rate of 40 new stores a week, Subway is poised to surpass McDonald's in worldwide locations sometime early next year. (Measured by total sales, McDonald's $30 billion still dwarfs Subway's $9.6 billion, although Subway has now supplanted both Wendy's and Burger King in market share.)
the-accidental-hero.html: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance
My favorite line in this article is simply this:
Frankel's $5 footlong idea illustrates how a huge company can wake up and eventually seize on a good idea that's not generated at headquarters.
Isnt it just amazing how something as simple as cutting 1 dollar off of the Footlong sandwiches has made that much of an impact on everything?

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
The cool thing about them exploding in store population is that Subway actually serves decently healthy food. If you cut back on the mayo and sauces and stuff, its a fairly low calory meal, with the range of food groups. A footlong for 5 bucks is a great price. DOn't know if they have those prices here in Canada yet, cause I still pay 7 something, but then I always get the specialty subs. Maybe the basic ones are still at $5, I'm not sure. It's amazing how many subways there are too. Near my work, I know the location of 6 subways within a 15 minute walking radius.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
My favorite line in this article is simply this:

Isnt it just amazing how something as simple as cutting 1 dollar off of the Footlong sandwiches has made that much of an impact on everything?
Now if only the government would catch a clue. If it works for business, it will work if you lower taxes too :) Even just a little.

People spend more when it costs less. Economics 101.