• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

$5 device easily unlocks car doors

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
A new tool is allowing criminals across the world to break into cars without leaving a trace, and now that device has made its way to Winnipeg.

New $5 device easily unlocks car doors for thieves in Winnipeg - Manitoba - CBC News
The convenience of the electronic locks also makes it equally convenient for car thieves. All they have to do is walk up to your car and place this device on it then open your door. The only thing you can do is have the keyless entry disabled by a mechanic. Now that this is starting to hit the news all the car thieves will want one.

Taliesin

Registered Member
What pisses me off about this kind of thing is that why don't the criminals who use things like this actually put their minds to something else? You know, something more worthwhile?

I worry that there's a similar device for the more standard, old fashioned locks you get on your front door. I hate the thought of someone being able to just let themselves into my home whenever they damn well please.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
That's scary but not unheard of. For $20 you can get a manufacturer's master key. They sell them to locksmith companies.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
What scares me more some people have electronic door locks on their homes. I wonder if they could break into your house this way. If it works on a car I don't see why they couldn't.

dDave

V.I.P.
That's scary but not unheard of. For $20 you can get a manufacturer's master key. They sell them to locksmith companies.
Yeah, but the locksmith companies use them responsibly, no?

What scares me more some people have electronic door locks on their homes. I wonder if they could break into your house this way. If it works on a car I don't see why they couldn't.
I've never seen an electronic door lock on anyone's home, it's always been the standard key locks and deadbolts.

It is disturbing that criminals can break into people's cars so easily, then again, there are plenty of other ways to break into a car already. I wonder if any measures will be taken to prevent this specific way of breaking in.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I've never seen an electronic door lock on anyone's home, it's always been the standard key locks and deadbolts.

It is disturbing that criminals can break into people's cars so easily, then again, there are plenty of other ways to break into a car already. I wonder if any measures will be taken to prevent this specific way of breaking in.
Their not quit the same as a car but I wonder if there isn't something that could be used on them too to get you past knowing the code, hope not.

Here is what I'm talking about.

LAYKOR Keyless Electronic Digital Door Lock - Amazon.com

EDIT: I actually found some that are remote controlled. Google remote controlled door locks for homes.

Last edited:

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
Dave, I've seen the one that Hilander posted and I've also seen on that has a physical key and a keypad option. They're really common around here because of all of the vacation homes.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't think I would want one of the remote controlled ones for my home. Maybe a keypad lock wouldn't be so bad but if all you have to do is pay $5 for a device to open a remote controlled one I wouldn't feel safe.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I know this is going to sound crazy, but considering how many people in SA are shot and killed during hi-jackings, I kind of wish this device would be used here. Unfortunately I live in a country where you consider yourself lucky if they stole your car or broke into your home and you life to tell the tale.