• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

4kids loses YGO Deal

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - Mania.com

Anime fans have long had disdain for 4Kids Entertainment and its head honcho, but they're not the only ones as the Hollywood Reporter has word that the deal the Japanese have had with the company for Yu-Gi-Oh! has been terminated and a multi-million dollar lawsuit has been opened against them.

"[T]he Japanese animation studio that first created the anime hits is attacking, claiming that 4Kids owes it millions of dollars for making secret agreements with TV networks and home video distributors as well as making improper royalty deductions, including for the cost of the actual dubbing. As the result of alleged contractual breaches, the Japanese companies behind the show reveal they have just terminated their licensing agreements with 4Kids. They now want past money owed too."
Interesting.

What do you think will happen to YGO, as a show, now? Bearing in mind that a new series is going to be released soon. Will another company, such as Viz or Funimation, re-release the three series in full? Will they try to licence the forbidden series?

What about other companies 4Kids have deal with, will they pull out too?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I hope to Christ we can actually get some Yu-Gi-Oh! the way it was meant to be and not the castrated and burnt out 4kids versions we got.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I think we'll see when the new series is bought, but i'd like whoever buys the rights to bring back the original cast and do a re-dub (cause i like the cast...most of them anyway...they still have to use Dan Green!) and keep all the original content.

I'd also like them to dub season 'zero' just for shits and giggles :lol2:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
This is six years late. Just saying.

I really hated 4Kids when I first found out how much they butchered the show. Here's hoping we can see a Yu-Gi-Oh "reboot". Too bad we can't kick Upperdeck off the trading cards so we can get them the way they're supposed to be made.

Envy

Band Nerd ♫
Losing Yu-Gi-Oh!? The most important thing to note is that 4Kids got sued. Which pretty much spells the end for them here, I would assume.

Yu-Gi-Oh! fans can hope that some company that doesn't butcher their properties (like FUNimation) acquires it.

As for me: I say, good bye 4Kids. It was nice knowing you... Actually, no, I can't lie, it wasn't nice knowing you.

Pugz

Ms. Malone
V.I.P.
I think there were rumours going around that 4kids were going into debt anyway; so i guess this is the final nail in the coffin.

BigBob

Registered Member
Like Merc said, I hope it gets picked up and done the way it was suppose to be. The Mangas were amazing and I wish the show was actually done the same way. People actually killing people and shit.

BigBob

Registered Member
I do have to admit. The American Version LOOKED better, but it still removed a lot of the best. Is there any versions that are just dubbed of the original?