• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Discuss 4K UHD TVs

dDave

V.I.P.
4K, 8K, 1080p, 120hz, 65”, HDR, LED, QLED, LCD, OLED, Matte, Gloss, Nits, HDMI, ARC, refresh, judder, etc.

There are so many terms in the TV world today. Has anyone braved this world recently and gone out to buy a new TV?

I’m glad 4K and HDR are finally taking hold. I bought a 65” Samsung KS8000 4K HDR set at the beginning of 2017. It was an excellent decision and I don’t regret it at all.

I play 4K discs through my XBOX One S (the cheapest 4K player available when I bought it)

I think there’s a noticeable improvement from 1080p to 4K. With exactly 4x as many pixels, there’s a noticeable improvement in image clarity. Even the 1080p content I have looks better.

Image quality isn’t just about resolution though. There’s contrast, nits, HDR, color reproduction, and refresh rate, among a few other things.

I was disappointed my TV didn’t come with any analog inputs at all, it’s HDMI all the way. I had to buy a framemeister (which is amazing) to play my vintage game consoles.

Anyone else take the plunge and buy a 4K set? How do you like it?

Konshentz

Konshentz
I am looking to upgrade my TV. I have been going back and forth for a few weeks trying to figure out what brand and what size I want. I've had my current TV since 2012 and she's been great, but they all eventual show their age. Haha.

dDave

V.I.P.
I am looking to upgrade my TV. I have been going back and forth for a few weeks trying to figure out what brand and what size I want. I've had my current TV since 2012 and she's been great, but they all eventual show their age. Haha.
One of the best things you can do for research is to look at rtings.com. They review a lot of TVs and are very methodical and scientific.

Definitely go to the store (like Best Buy) and look at stuff though.

What size is your current TV?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
We bought a Sony 65 inch HDR 4k ultra HD smart TV back in August and am very happy with it. Amazing picture, like the fact you can adjust the blacks. Came close to getting a 75 inch but decided it would be too big for our small living room.

Also bought a 4k blu-ray player. Put a Phillips 43 inch 4k in the bedroom.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
42 inch.

I think I am leaning towards 65 inches for the new one.
You will be glad you did. 42 is great, that is what we had, but a 65 inch is much better for watching movies. Especially if they are in that super wide screen format.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dDave Technology 3
dDave Technology 15
Mirage Technology 9
dDave Technology 5
Hilander Offbeat News 3