• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Awesome 4K HDTVs are coming

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
Actually, it's called UDTV or UHDTV (refers to both 4k and 8k I believe). HDTV refers specifically to 1080p/1080i/720p

I saw the Sony UDTV at Best Buy (as I mentioned in the other thread about this), it was truly stunning. You can't see the pixels, there's no such thing as a rough edge on this screen. I know I was super impressed when I first saw 1080p, I honestly don't see resolutions getting much better than 4k any time soon, even if they do there's a limit to how much the human eye can see.

My only concern is that all current receivers and Blu-Ray players will become obsolete. Most HDMI connections are single link digital, some of them are dual link. To run 4K you need to have quad link which has to be pretty expensive.

One thing I am happy about is the fact that the standard resolution for 4k is going to be 2160p. This is a good thing because it means any 1080p image will scale perfectly to this screen. There was some question about what the standard resolution of 4K would be (there are several different kinds).

I can't wait to get one of these, it's going to be a truly amazing TV experience.

danwiz

Registered Member
And, I guess there is not yet anything being broadcast in 4k either, so may as well wait a few years to buy one. They are already for sale here in Japan - even at Costco!

Kanji

Registered Member
yeah that is always the problem. It takes so long for content to catch up to speed with technology. I mean do we even have a digital format or disc format for 4k yet?

dDave

V.I.P.
yeah that is always the problem. It takes so long for content to catch up to speed with technology. I mean do we even have a digital format or disc format for 4k yet?
There is a digital format but it's only for computers and the file sizes are monstrous. There also aren't all that many video cards that can spit out a 4K resolution. Most video cards can still only do 2560x1600 res which is the equivalent of 2.6K, higher than 1080p, but not 4K.

A digital disc format may never come for 4K, I believe this is finally the generation where everything will be done on small memory cards or strictly through download services. a 4K movie is 400% of the file size of the same movie in 1080p. I don't see 200GB discs coming around any time soon :lol:.

penny4URthoughts

Registered Member
Man! That TV is the size of a window! Man, I would definitely want a TV like that, I just wonder how the cartoons are going to look.

dDave

V.I.P.
I saw the TV in this ad at the store a couple of days ago. It's amazingly crisp and honestly, some people might actually be fooled by it if you were to make it look like it was a window :lol:. It's amazing to think of just how far television technology has come.

I'm really anxious to see the day when it becomes the standard. I wonder what kinds of technologies they will have to create to handle tons of people streaming 4k in one area.

By my calculations, to stream 4k resolution you will need roughly 28.0mbps of dedicated bandwidth on your internet connection. I currently have less than half of that on the best days.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Wow. It doesn't surprise me that so many people fell for that trick. I probably would too. That is unbelievably realistic.

ShivaBadola

Registered Member
Actually, it's called UDTV or UHDTV (refers to both 4k and 8k I believe). HDTV refers specifically to 1080p/1080i/720p

I saw the Sony UDTV at Best Buy (as I mentioned in the other thread about this), it was truly stunning. You can't see the pixels, there's no such thing as a rough edge on this screen. I know I was super impressed when I first saw 1080p, I honestly don't see resolutions getting much better than 4k any time soon, even if they do there's a limit to how much the human eye can see.

My only concern is that all current receivers and Blu-Ray players will become obsolete. Most HDMI connections are single link digital, some of them are dual link. To run 4K you need to have quad link which has to be pretty expensive.

One thing I am happy about is the fact that the standard resolution for 4k is going to be 2160p. This is a good thing because it means any 1080p image will scale perfectly to this screen. There was some question about what the standard resolution of 4K would be (there are several different kinds).

I can't wait to get one of these, it's going to be a truly amazing TV experience.
I saw the same television in the shopping mall today.That is the best television I have seen so far,too bad I cant afford it right now.The sound quality is pretty amazing as well so you really don't need to spend money on buying additional home theater for yourself.

dDave

V.I.P.
I saw the same television in the shopping mall today.That is the best television I have seen so far,too bad I cant afford it right now.The sound quality is pretty amazing as well so you really don't need to spend money on buying additional home theater for yourself.
I agree, best picture I have ever seen by far. I didn't get to test the sound quality but I can guarantee you that a real home theater system (5.1 or 7.1) sounds better. There's just no way that you can best a good surround system with the speakers just off of your TV.

I'll bet that very few people can afford it right now.