• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

4chan Founder wins Time's 2009 Most Influential People poll

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
If you fequent 4chan, you should know who moot is. Suspected real name Christopher Poole, he single handedly created 4chan. He lives with his mum. He doesn't have a job. He's just been voted Time's most influential person of 2009- wait, WHAT?

That is right, straight from Time itself:

Time said:
In a stunning result, the winner of the third annual TIME 100 poll and new owner of the title World's Most Influential Person is moot. The 21-year-old college student and founder of the online community 4chan.org, whose real name is Christopher Poole, received 16,794,368 votes and an average influence rating of 90 (out of a possible 100) to handily beat the likes of Barack Obama, Vladimir Putin and Oprah Winfrey. To put the magnitude of the upset in perspective, it's worth noting that everyone moot beat out actually has a job.
Wow. Just wow. How is it possible this man managed to get that many vo- oh wait, I forgot. 4CHON

someone said:
The clue as to why he won can be revealed if you look at the 21 names which topped the poll, specifically the first letters of their names which spell out the phrase ‘marblecake also the game.’ Marblecake is an IRC channel which was responsible for the much publicised ‘message to scientology’ video meme for example.
same someone said:
For what really happened, then, we need to dig deeper into the mechanics of the hack itself and that’s exactly what Paul Lamere managed to do by speaking to the people behind it. He recounts how he had a 4am meeting in an online chatroom with someone only calling himself Zombocom who revealed that members of the 4chan /b/ board decided to try and rig the voting after discovering Time had put moot on the list of 200 nominees following an earlier interview in the magazine. They did this by first creating autovoters to perform the required HTTP get on a voting url which enabled votes to be triggered via spam urls. The way the urls were crafted meant that it was relatively simple to push multiple low value votes, ratings of 1, to any given candidate. When Time eventually spotted voting irregularity, namely that moot had a 300 percent approval ratting while everyone else was below zero, the magazine changed the voting protocol and added an MD5 hash of the url together with a salt, or secret word, to make things secure. Which they would have been were it not for a 4chan /b/ board member discovering that salt sitting within the voting Flash app and extracted it.
While Time claims that the vote was not hacked-
Time said:
Moot denies knowing about any concerted plan by his followers to influence the poll, though TIME.com's technical team did detect and extinguish several attempts to hack the vote.
-I think the evidence speaks for itself. There's only one question left to answer...

Is this epic win?

For the full list, go here

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
Pure, unadulterated win.

I didn't believe it until I actually saw the list, but god damn it, they fucking did it. Marblecake Also The Game.

Not only do I lose, but 4chan wins. It's surely a sign of the apocalypse.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
*teary eyed*

I was looking forward to the day *sniff* . . . Oprah would be defeated.

It's so . . . beautiful.

greyham_G

Registered Member
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

thats pretty much all i can say to that