• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

40 years for stealing $20

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Franklin Frye languishes in D.C. psych ward 40 years after necklace theft charge - Washington Times

This is a sad story. The guy had a job and was functioning when locked away at a metal ward. I read a story once about a guy that booked on assault and decided to plead insanity. Instead of spending 3 months in the hokey, he was in a mental hospital for years. The problem is 2-fold. One, it is impossible to convince a psychiatrist that you don't have problems because that's exactly what someone with mental problems would say. Secondly, the drugs they give you make you crazy.

The guy in the story I posted did have some mental problems but what a shame to be locked up your whole life. This also shows what a crock psychiatry often is. Its a science that cannot cure and often only makes things worse.

dDave

V.I.P.
I can definitely agree that psychiatry is a crock in so many cases.

The psychiatric drugs that some people are on are insane. Even the drugs for something common like ADHD are terrible. Ritalin has some really harsh (and very common) side effects. Side Effects of Ritalin (Methylphenidate Hcl) Drug Center - RxList That's bad enough that if I had ADHD I would easily choose to deal with ADHD instead of Ritalin.

I think we're stuck in this rut of thinking we have to medicate everything (this is true all across the medical world). Really though, a lot of problems stem from real issues that we have faced in our lives and don't require a chemical solution but rather an emotional or personal/physical solution that likely involves other people.

I have a friend that was diagnosed with depression and he was put on medication. Does this sound nice to anyone?

Antidepressant Side Effects: Sexual Side Effects, Weight Gain and More

I'm no expert and I don't mean to judge anyone (please don't take it that way) but I think if I'm ever diagnosed with a psychiatric problem that I'm going to do everything I can to avoid medication, that just sounds awful. The side effects are worse than the original problem.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
If this guy steals $20 and gets nearly two consecutive life sentences, I fully expect Obama to be locked in there for the rest of his life. He's stolen trillions. Wonder how much Frye will be given in the inevitable law suit. Besides this, somebody should be shot. I at least hope they let him keep the necklace.

- Cham

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
How do you file a docket with a dead judge? He had been dead for 6 months but they didn't know it, sounds fishy.

Sounds like the screw ups started with the cops and court system. Instead of trying to right it they just ignored him.

We have a mental health problem in this country that needs addressed there's no doubt about that but in this mans case, from the information I have, he should have never been locked up.

I agree if you have a mild mental illness the medicine probably isn't for you but some people have such severe cases of illness they couldn't function at all without the meds. Some are dangerous without it. Mental illness is behind a lot of these mass shootings.
------
If this guy steals $20 and gets nearly two consecutive life sentences, I fully expect Obama to be locked in there for the rest of his life. He's stolen trillions. Wonder how much Frye will be given in the inevitable law suit. Besides this, somebody should be shot. I at least hope they let him keep the necklace.

- Cham
He said they never found the necklace on him. So maybe he didn't take it or he threw it away before they arrested him.

Last edited:

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
He said they never found the necklace on him. So maybe he didn't take it or he threw it away before they arrested him.
Well then they should let him pick one out from a catalog. :D
I mean he payed the best years of his life for a $20 silver necklace, it's only right that he end up with one.

Meanwhile, whoever is responsible for this mess should take his place in the mental ward, because you'd have to be mentally screwed up to let this happen on your watch.

- Cham