• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Weird 40 historical photos

dDave

V.I.P.
40 Must-See Photos From The Past. #5 Is Insane.

It's really strange to look at photos like this and sort of get a small taste of what life was like when these pictures were taken. Some of these seem normal, others are so outrageous that you can't hardly believe they ever actually tried this.

The title is right, #5 is insane, but so are many others.

My personal favorites of all of these would be #12, #37, and #40.

Lots of cool tidbits of history here. It really is true, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Thanks for posting this Dave. Some of those photos were heartbreaking while other were creepy and funny.

That must of been one hell of a snowball fight in photo number 37.

I also can't imaging watching a atomic bomb being tested from my window like in photo number 27.

Your right number 5 is something. Why use a dummy when you have the real thing.

Laine

Registered Member
AHHH The baby cage! How could a parent put a child in that!? It looks dangerous.

Original Ronald McDonald... I would have nightmares to see him lol

Some really nice photo's of history.

Thank you for sharing.

Taliesin

Registered Member
I've seen this article before, and it's a corker (as we say here in Oz). I'm with Laine on this though... the baby cage one just... well, freezes my blood. An animal in a cage. That's what it screams to me. Ugh. Poor child.

wolfheart

Registered Member
I saw these on FB yesterday and thought they were great if a little upsetting, the snowball fight one, I have never seen anyone come out of a snowball fight with those kinds of injuries and I'm guessing they got a little bit up close and personal.

Some that really caught my eye were the prohibition era one,all that booze just flowing out like that.
The one with the kids for sale was slightly upsetting,as was the depression era Christmas dinner.
Pouring acid into a pool for that reason was just sickening.

Women getting the bathing suit measured made me laugh,I mean look at what they almost wear now.

The baby in a cage,if it didn't now better I would say it photo shopped,could you imagine the uproar if someone came up with idea today.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If someone put a baby in a cage like that today we would be taking their child away from them.

That Ronald McDonald one was creepy, thought it was the weirdest looking clown I ever saw and would definitely give you nightmares.

Some of the photos were so sad, like the kids eating their meager thanksgiving dinner or the women putting up her children for sale. Just shows you how hard times were back then. I have to wonder how many starved to death. Glad we have food stamps now.

dDave

V.I.P.
If someone put a baby in a cage like that today we would be taking their child away from them.

That Ronald McDonald one was creepy, thought it was the weirdest looking clown I ever saw and would definitely give you nightmares.

Some of the photos were so sad, like the kids eating their meager thanksgiving dinner or the women putting up her children for sale. Just shows you how hard times were back then. I have to wonder how many starved to death. Glad we have food stamps now.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Not only would your child be taken away but they would be taken away immediately and without question. Most people today would tell you it's cruel to put a child in a cage like that. Nobody today would tell you it's ok to put a child in a cage that hangs out of a window. There's an easy opportunity for neglect right there.

I wonder how many of those kids were afraid of heights though :lol:.

I've never really cared for clowns. To be honest, the current Ronald McDonald still looks pretty creepy to me.

A lot of these photos are centered around the idea that times used to be hard and a lot of people did what was necessary to make it through.

Elanor

Registered Member
A lot of those photos are really interesting, upsetting, but interesting. Sometimes pictures can tell you more than words can.

Number 17 was heartbreaking, the little girl with just her doll sitting in the rubble of WWII London. I loved 29, the boy was so happy to get a simple pair of shoes, nothing fancy, just nice and practical. These days a lot of kids need expensive things to be that happy, and even then it isn't like the pure joy of the boy and his shoes.

I think they are all fascinating in their own way, even the disturbing ones.

Ramiel

Registered Member
#9 and #22 have always interested me. You know, since now women can wear anything they want now. But back then they couldn't show anything.The Baby cages look really stupid. I could totally see that falling and killing them.

All the photos just show just how far the world has came. We're not perfect, but at least we don't live like we did in those photos.

dDave

V.I.P.
I ran into some more historical photos today.

These 50 Photos From The Past Are Shocking And Hilarious. I Can't Believe How Things Have Changed...

Some of them are included in the original article I posted but a lot of these are new.

That original GPS just looks plain awful :lol:. On the flip side, those reading in bed glasses are actually something I'd at least like to try. Reading in bed is a real pain because you can never get a good angle to get comfortable.

Also, those TV glasses. Those must have been so bad for you to use cause I know they only had CRT back then and it's really bad to be that close.