40 Billionaires To Give Away Half Their Wealth

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is pretty inspiring. 40 of American's billionaires have pledged to give half of their wealth to charity:

40 billionaires pledge to donate half their wealth - U.S. news - Giving - msnbc.com

The Giving Pledge

The key idea here being that this was their choice. They did this out of the goodness of their hearts. Not because they were forced to. I don't believe people should ever be forced to do something like this, no matter how rich they are. Giving away your own possessions should always be your own choice.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is all thanks to capitalism and serious work ethic. Say what you want about the rich, but until you've given away billions, you can't say a single person on this list is less charitable than you.

Last edited:

Bananas

Endangered Species
Say what you want about the rich, but until you've given away billions, you can't say a single person on this list is less charitable than you.
Giving is relative. The man who has billions and gives away billions is no better for giving than the man who has $5 and gives away half. If anything the man who has less gives away more.

Hybrix; said:
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is all thanks to capitalism and serious work ethic.
It is thanks to people being charitable. Im not sure what capitalism's role is in what they have done.....

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Giving is relative. The man who has billions and gives away billions is no better for giving than the man who has $5 and gives away half. If anything the man who has less gives away more.
So you'd be just fine receiving a charitable donation of 75% of a poor person's wealth instead of 10% of a billionaires wealth...? Right. :rolleyes:

It is thanks to people being charitable. Im not sure what capitalism's role is in what they have done.....
And thanks to capitalism, they were able to create the jobs that allowed them to earn all of that money.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
So you'd be just fine receiving a charitable donation of 75% of a poor person's wealth instead of 10% of a billionaires wealth...? Right. :rolleyes:
Of course. Wasn't it Jesus who claimed that the poor person who gives the only coins they own more charitable than the rich man who gives but a small portion of his wealth?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
Of course. Wasn't it Jesus who claimed that the poor person who gives the only coins they own more charitable than the rich man who gives but a small portion of his wealth?
Sure, but that wasn't my point. My point is that people are always ragging on the "rich" for being greedy. Nobody can look at somebody who gives away billions and say they are greedy for keeping the rest. They are doing more to help society than the poor person who gives away even 100%.

Nevyrmoore

AKA Ass-Bandit
They are doing more to help society than the poor person who gives away even 100%.
Simply because they have the means to. If I had such a wealth, I'd personally give a good amount of it to charities. But to claim that what I give is worthless compared to what they did? That I need not bother? To be frank, I consider that rather offensive.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.

Nanas about summed up my thoughts on this. :nod: And he's spot on with it too.

You're looking at it wrong, Brix. You're seeing it from the perspective of greed and money. A rich man who gives a portion of his wealth is hardly going to worry about surviving with his remaining hundreds of millions, is he? :rolleyes: The idea of charity is to help others, and sure what these people are doing is commendable and obviously this is really good of them - but the people who can barely survive who still give to charity give just as much if not more, maybe not in monetary terms but in terms of charitable value and pure selflessness.

Last edited:

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Some of the people on that list are going to give away far more than 50% of their wealth. The article talks about Buffet that has put in motion to give away 99% of his. Huntsman is another that is currently giving away 100% of his.

I agree with you Brix. The story makes me proud to live in a capitalist society where people can make this type of money, a charitable society where people are compelled to help others and a free society where people can allocate their wealth however they want to.

Gavik

Registered Member
And thanks to capitalism, they were able to create the jobs that allowed them to earn all of that money.
Don't make this a politcal issue. How they got their money is irrelevant. What they do with it is.

Sure, but that wasn't my point. My point is that people are always ragging on the "rich" for being greedy. Nobody can look at somebody who gives away billions and say they are greedy for keeping the rest. They are doing more to help society than the poor person who gives away even 100%.
This is disgusting. If I was in need, I would be more than grateful for a donation from anyone, regardless of amount. It's about generosity and helping others, not bottom line.

And you know what, I'm gonna look at a lot of these billionaires and call them greedy. They're successful and I applaud that, but they could never spend that much money in their lifetimes. Even if they donated 90% they'd have enough left to support their families until their great grand children graduated college. Once they've got enough to support their family like that, it's incredibly greedy to just hoard the money. 10% of billions and billions seems like a lot on paper, but in reality it could disappear from their bank accounts and they probably wouldn't ever notice.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not going to knock anyone who gives to charity. And I agree that you would get more bang for the buck having $100 mil granted by private interests than the same amount spent by a public agency.

But I don't think it will take much effort to figure out that everyone on the list benefitted from some Government tax break, loopholes or exemption.

It is cheaper to be rich than to be poor.

I've got to think there will be a growing job market in helping rich people give away their money.