• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Hardware 3D Printers & Guns

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
This is not the first time this has come up, I seem to remember only this year that another person in the US (don't quote me on that, I intend to look that up) that someone had print outs for the ability to create guns using a 3D printer and now someone in the US has been arrested for it:

Japan man held over '3D-printed guns’

A 27-year-old man from near Tokyo has been arrested for allegedly possessing guns made with a 3D printer, according to the Japan Broadcasting Corporation.

Five guns, two of which could fire lethal bullets, and a 3D printer were seized from Yoshitomo Imura's home, police sources told broadcaster NHK.

The first arrest of its kind in Japan, officers acted after he had displayed 3D-printed guns online, sources said.

Mr Imura reportedly said he had not realised printing the guns was illegal.

No live ammunition was found.

The investigation was launched in February after officers were made aware of video footage of Mr Imura displaying newly printed weapons, the sources added.

Read more
I am unsure how he did not know that creating guns using this method was against the law, you need a license to own a gun so why would it not be against the law to simply create you own gun? I am all for 3D printers but it does worry me that people may use this technology for the wrong reasons.

What's your take on this?

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
If they will print guns I'm not surprised someone did. His big mistake was posting pictures of them online. That gets a lot of people caught when they are breaking the law.

Still he should have known better and obtained a license to do so if you can get one in Japan.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Constitutionally speaking in the US this should be 100% legal. Since we don't currently follow the constitution and just seem to invent laws as we deem necessary (instead of passing amendments) we will probably just pass more regulations in that same way. I have little to zero knowledge of Japanese laws but this person can't be that bright if they are breaking the law and flaunting it on the internet.

I'm sure there will be loads of regulations once this technology becomes mainstream.

Do I think law abiding individuals should be able to make their own guns with this technology? Sure.

The larger issue I think is the train of thought that guns are unsafe, scary, dangerous, etc. an armed populace is a good thing. Just another reason you should carry guns and have them for defense. If most citizens carried weapons and knew how to use them, the world would be a safer place.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Do I think law abiding individuals should be able to make their own guns with this technology? Sure.
Would you agree though that it should be regulated? That if someone creates a weapon they have to report it, tested for safety and have the correct paperwork filled out? It seems very scary that people can just create a weapon and use it without any any knowledge of it.

The larger issue I think is the train of thought that guns are unsafe, scary, dangerous, etc. an armed populace is a good thing. Just another reason you should carry guns and have them for defense. If most citizens carried weapons and knew how to use them, the world would be a safer place.
Guns are not unsafe, people who own them and do stupid things with them is what is unsafe, scary & dangerous.

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Would you agree though that it should be regulated? That if someone creates a weapon they have to report it, tested for safety and have the correct paperwork filled out? It seems very scary that people can just create a weapon and use it without any any knowledge of it.

Guns are not unsafe, people who own them and do stupid things with them is what is unsafe, scary & dangerous.
Should citizens have to report to the government when they make a gun? Not under the constitution. I have the right to bear arms. Not the right to bear arms if I satisfy certain conditions. That is from a legal standpoint. Do I personally think violent criminals just out of prison should be able to have a gun? From a personal standpoint, no, from a legal standpoint, yes. Some regulation might prevent some of this but if someone really wants a gun, they will find a way to get one. That is why it's important for people to own guns for defense.

But no, I don't think it's the governments concern of how many guns I have.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Should citizens have to report to the government when they make a gun? Not under the constitution. I have the right to bear arms. Not the right to bear arms if I satisfy certain conditions.
Where would this end though? If someone download the plan to make nuclear weapons is that okay? I mean, they could still be considered arms so technically you have the right to?

Some regulation might prevent some of this but if someone really wants a gun, they will find a way to get one. That is why it's important for people to own guns for defense.
You are right, they will find a way to get hold of a weapon if they want to but personally I think there is a difference between taking one from someone and not regulating in a very easily done process. Is that really such a bad thing?

But no, I don't think it's the governments concern of how many guns I have.
This concerns me I am not gonna lie but I am not in america and I am not going to question this, it really isn't for me to say or argue. However that being said you say that it is important for people to only have them for defence but if no regulation exists then how can you possible know or ensure that the correct training is provided for self defence?

dDave

V.I.P.
If they will print guns I'm not surprised someone did. His big mistake was posting pictures of them online. That gets a lot of people caught when they are breaking the law.

Still he should have known better and obtained a license to do so if you can get one in Japan.
Yeah, why is it so shocking that someone printed a gun with a 3-D printer. It was easy to assume it would happen eventually, right?

What if I made a spear in my home? Should it have to be tested for safety? I have no experience using a spear and it could be dangerous.

I have a friend that built a legitimate rail gun for an engineering project, should he have to register that?

What if I built a level 2 lookalike firearm, should I have to have that tested for safety?

See the problem here? It's pretty much impossible for everyone to agree on what should be registered, what shouldn't, what should be tested for safety, etc.

There are a lot of different types of weapons. Some of the more complicated types of weapons are becoming easier to create in your own home. Does it make you a bad person to make these? Eh, I don't think so. There's still the potential for a criminal to make a gun using this method though. Guess what? If you make a law about it then you face the same problem that we face with guns and criminals today, they don't follow the law. It doesn't matter what legislation you pass, criminals aren't going to follow the law, they wouldn't be criminals if they did.

What does it matter if you have safety testing and registration laws set in place for people that make these?

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Where would this end though? If someone download the plan to make nuclear weapons is that okay? I mean, they could still be considered arms so technically you have the right to?

You are right, they will find a way to get hold of a weapon if they want to but personally I think there is a difference between taking one from someone and not regulating in a very easily done process. Is that really such a bad thing?

This concerns me I am not gonna lie but I am not in america and I am not going to question this, it really isn't for me to say or argue. However that being said you say that it is important for people to only have them for defence but if no regulation exists then how can you possible know or ensure that the correct training is provided for self defence?
Under the American system we should pass amendments banning such things. Of course people shouldn't be able to own nukes. The constitutional crisis we have in the US is everyone agrees with this but we ignored the constitutional amendment process.

How can this technology be regulated so we have some checks at least trying to stop guns from going into criminals hands? You can have basic regulation, I'm not sure how it would work with this technology but at some point more regulation becomes a problem as just stops law abiding citizens from getting guns. Do people still download music illegally? Sure. Is it harder than it used to be. You have to find the balance, problem is, no one ever agrees on what the appropriate balance is.

There are thousands of classes people can go to to learn how to properly use their firearms. Currently any Joe Smoe with a clean record can walk in and purchase a weapon. I'm okay with that. I don't see it as the governments job to regulate that people who own guns know how to use them. In most states wih concealed carry, you do have to take a class. Technically these are unconstitutional laws but that's a different discussion.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
What if I made a spear in my home? Should it have to be tested for safety? I have no experience using a spear and it could be dangerous.
I quite agree, it is dangerous and honestly I don't think it is a good idea.

I have a friend that built a legitimate rail gun for an engineering project, should he have to register that?
That depends, does he or she intend to keep it in the home to fend off intruders?

What if I built a level 2 lookalike firearm, should I have to have that tested for safety?
No however I would say I don't think it is a good idea to have a replica in case someone else mistook it for a real gun and shot you.

See the problem here? It's pretty much impossible for everyone to agree on what should be registered, what shouldn't, what should be tested for safety, etc.
I agree, it is almost impossible but does it make it any less legitimate to worry that these regulations are not in place?

There are a lot of different types of weapons. Some of the more complicated types of weapons are becoming easier to create in your own home. Does it make you a bad person to make these? Eh, I don't think so. There's still the potential for a criminal to make a gun using this method though. Guess what? If you make a law about it then you face the same problem that we face with guns and criminals today, they don't follow the law. It doesn't matter what legislation you pass, criminals aren't going to follow the law, they wouldn't be criminals if they did.

What does it matter if you have safety testing and registration laws set in place for people that make these?
Okay, first of all I never once mentioned that I felt anyone was a bad person Dave. I agree that people do not always go along with the law and they will find a way to get around the law but I personally don't think giving and providing the means to make weapons such as an automatic machine gun is a good idea especially if it is unregulated, the person who made this may not have been able to confirm that the gun was safe to use for the person holding it, would you accept a weapon in this manner?
------
There are thousands of classes people can go to to learn how to properly use their firearms. Currently any Joe Smoe with a clean record can walk in and purchase a weapon. I'm okay with that. I don't see it as the governments job to regulate that people who own guns know how to use them. In most states wih concealed carry, you do have to take a class. Technically these are unconstitutional laws but that's a different discussion.
Do people not have to have it registered in their name? I only base from what I have seen in the media but do weapons not have individual serial numbers so they can be tracked and traced etc?

Last edited:

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
Do people not have to have it registered in their name? I only base from what I have seen in the media but do weapons not have individual serial numbers so they can be tracked and traced etc?
That is dependent on which state you live in and whether or not they are tracked after the initial purchase through every subsequent sale.

Out of curiosity, where do you live and what are the gun laws there?