3d Gaming.... And it starts!

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by icegoat63, Mar 23, 2010.

1. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

Nintendo has Announced the DS will be 3d Enabled, See here:

Think this will fail like the past VR headsets did back in the mid/late 90's? Or is it time for 3d Gaming to become a reality?

It took Sony what? 3-4 years or so before they adapted the Playstation Move... the Wii knockoff controller that tracks movement.... I wonder how long it'll take Sony or Microsoft to start building on to Nintendo's 3d concept.

Think this will remain a handheld only feature for a while considering prices of 3d tv's are so outrageous?

OH! And Could this be the hint as to what to expect from the Playstation 4 and the 3rd Xbox?

2. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Without knowing what tech they are going to use then its hard to know what success it might be.

Its also hard to imagine any new technology being as bigger failure as some of the 90's flops. The momentum of the industry is well and truly established now, back then there was a bit of hit and hope with consumer demand as people made feeble attempts and wacky ideas to out do rivals and try and secure niches, nowadays the market seems to know where it is heading, research and devolpment is now hand in hand with innovation, where as before they were seperate entities.

...if nintendo are confident to go 3D then they should do it, I would like Sony & Microsoft to not just follow suit but find their own niche. In the same way Nintendo took a step back and instead of entering the console race with a high-powered machine to take on the 360 and PS3 they went back to basics and looked for a new direction. Im a bit fearful that the big 3 will just steam along this 3D path and neglect other possibilities.

3. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

I can imagine that it will give a lot of people headaches. As Bananas pointed out it's hard to say how much shelf life it will have. It could be one step closer to true VR: "YOU ARE THE GAME!" :lol:

4. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

I think it's likely they'll be using an autostereoscopic LCD display. Makes perfect sense if they're trying to attempt it without special glasses.

5. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Humm the ps3 will feature full 3D by the end of this year it has been announced for almost an year, you don't need to buy a new TV, you can just upgrade though firmware.

The 3DS is a pretty stupid idea, although im sure it will sell, but unless it has an option to run the games normally... i don't see a lot of people using 3D glasses outdoors to play their DS.

6. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

It won't use glasses; Nintendo have specifically stated that it will allow games to be, and I quote, ""enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses."

Further, Satoru Iwata and Shiggy have said that they don't like the idea of 3D glasses in gaming. I find it hard to imagine that the President and CEO of Nintendo would then OK a new handheld with 3D glasses after going on record with that statement...

As I mentioned above, it's likely they'd use and autostereoscopic LCD display. This type of display allows for a 3D effect without the use of special headgear or glasses.

7. Mihael_langley

Mihael_langley Formerly "Maikeru"

Oh, thats better then ^_^

8. Altanzitarron

Altanzitarron Tamer Of The LOLzilla

Otherwise there was going to be a lot of "Nice glasses......dick"

9. StroShow

StroShow The return shall be legenday! V.I.P. Lifetime

Looks like they really are going the iPod route of regular incremental upgrades rather than a sweeping new model then. I suppose they want to keep bringing out the hardware but not cut off the massive software support the DS still gets.

10. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

Actually Chris_Bosh, this is supposed to be new hardware, apparently with largely upgraded graphics and everything.

Personally I don't really care about the 3D (as I haven't about the rest of Nintendo's gimmicks), I'm just happy that Nintendo is finally going to stop milking the DS. Glad we're finally going into the future here.

But I will reserve any judgments on this until I see the quality of the games. because in the end that is all that matters.