35 second shot clock

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by Babe_Ruth, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

So me and Echoes were talking in the chatroom about the 35 second shot clock in the NCAA. I said that it's way too long, especially in a 40 minute game. I believe it should be 24 seconds like they have in the NBA.

What are your thoughts? Do you believe that having a 35 second shot clock is good to have or you rather see less then that?

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

As you already know, I prefer the 35 second clock. The only reason the NBA has a shorter clock is to create more possessions, which results in a higher scoring game. I like defense, and a longer shot clock forces teams to play good defense and the offense has to work the ball around more for a good shot instead of a lot of the 0 or 1 pass possessions in the NBA.

Full court press is also a lot more common in college, so it takes longer to get the offenses set up. There is almost always pressure on the ball handler, whereas in the NBA the ball handler is usually allowed to just stand around the 3 point arc.

The only thing I dislike about the longer shot clock is that it forces the trailing teams into fouling earlier at the end of a game. The last two minutes of the game often becomes a foul/free throw fest which is super boring. But I think the fouling rules should be changed to prevent intentional late game fouling.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I like the balance that the longer shot clock brings to the game. the NFL and NBA are geared towards offense and ratings. The balance in college ball, especially basketball, makes it a lot better to watch over their professional counterparts.

Lower the number of allowed fouls inside of three minutes?

4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

No, they should enforce the intentional foul rule. An intentional foul is when a player fouls without any intention of going for the ball. This gives the other team two free throws, plus they retain possession. When one team is intentionally trying to put the other team on the free throw line, it makes sense that these should be called as intentional fouls. If they were called like they should be it would all but eliminate all the fouling at the end of the games.

5. Swiftstrike

Swiftstrike Registered Member

24 seconds suits the NBA because plays are developed very quickly, the players are significantly better, and there are more ball hogs and less defense.

35 seconds is fine in college. The players aren't nearly as good, defense is better (dude to also less skill on the offensive side), and it takes usually 20 seconds for a play to even develop.

The shot clock could get reduced to 30 seconds and I would be find with that but I would prefer no change.

NBA is just a...shootfest because of the shot clock. It's give Kobe or Lebron the ball and let them shoot. O and traveling is never called 2 and half steps right? In my mind the NBA should increase the shot clock so more complicated plays can develop and they need to start calling traveling.

I can't believe people watch the NBA and think it is basketball.

6. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

It has reduced the number of cut/screen offenses in favor of dribble-drive offenses that can get someone quick to the rim, because there isn't enough time to break the defense down in a traditional cut/screen motion offense in 35 seconds. Basketball instead becomes a few seven second quick-hitter set plays or spread the floor and drive (and it appears to be "milk the clock and drive") and each possession gets managed pretty easily. Break (try to isolate for one-on-one move or kick-out for 3) set play maybe do set play again spread the floor and drive. The NBA game is the same, but with time for only one set play instead of two. Set plays take time to set up and involve a lot more standing around.

A 45-second clock allowed for more motion to be run and less spread it and drive and kick.

It has also brought the zone defense back into play (that, and the fact that nobody can hit or will shoot a 15-footer anymore) as zones naturally slow the offense down and are harder to break down when one only has to play half-court defense for 25-30 seconds.