• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

32 Books That Will Actually Change Your Life

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
32 Books That Will Actually Change Your Life

This is worth clicking the link, for those of you anti-link-clickers

Interesting that It is on the list; I never thought of that as a life-changer.

A few of my favorite books are on the list - White Oleander and Prodigal Summer

This would be a good list to take with me to the library when I'm not sure what I want to read next.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I have read 2 of those books, White Oleander and Me Talk Pretty One Day. I do not feel like either of these books changed my life, per se. I did enjoy reading them, but life changing? No.

However someone recently asked me what book I had read that had changed my life, and I said none. It's entertainment for me, nothing more.

dDave

V.I.P.
I've actually read 7 of the books on that list.

In the order that they appear on the list.

Cat's Cradle
World War Z
The Giver
A Brief History of Time
Crime and Punishment
Life of Pi
Catch-22

I wouldn't say that any of these would "actually change your life", that's a bit extreme. A Brief History of Time is extremely atheistic and opinionated. Crime and Punishment is just one of the worst books I've ever read, I don't know how anybody can actually finish that book and like it. Life of Pi was bad to a lesser extent (I do realize many people like this novel)

The only two I've read of those seven that I enjoyed would be The Giver and Catch-22 because they were actually good books. I wouldn't say that they changed my life though. Catch-22 may have redefined exactly what the word "crazy" means though :lol:.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I've only read one of them. White Oleander. I don't think it changed my life at all. I did enjoy it though, it's a good book. I also have the film and I like that.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I've only read Catch-22 and It from this list. I'm disappointed Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm and The Grapes of Wrath aren't on this list. Those books had a much bigger impact on me that those two.

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
I've read:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Cat's Cradle
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Me Talk Pretty One Day
Sophie’s World
Catch-22

I'd say Zen, Cat's Cradle, and Sophie's World probably effected me the most, with Sophie's World helping to kick off a decade's long obsession with philosophy for me. Zen made me rethink the descriptive/normative dichotomy, and also the shoddy efforts I put into the maintenance of things. :) Cat's Cradle creeps into my mind constantly with its notion of granfalloons, which helps the gadfly in me bother my propensity towards a tribal unification of semi-arbitrary groupings of people with my ego. Not enough that I completely forgo it, but y'know.

I have to say I enjoyed all those books, though.

Impact

V.I.P.
I've only read Catch-22 and It from this list. I'm disappointed Fahrenheit 451, 1984, Animal Farm and The Grapes of Wrath aren't on this list. Those books had a much bigger impact on me that those two.
I was really surprised not to see 1984 or Animal Farm on the list.

Of all of them, i've only read 100 Years of Solitude. Been meaning to read World War Z though.

I'm actually interested in reading a quite a few of those, so i've saved the list for later. Thanks Di.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I've read Me Talk Pretty One Day, World War Z, and The Joy of Cooking (well, people don't read it cover-to-cover). I've also read books by Sherman Alexie and Toni Morrison, just not the ones listed. And like many people, I own a couple (Cat's Cradle, A Brief History of Time), but they are presently unread.

I'm slogging through a far too academic volume on Vikings, and the collected writings of Bakunin. It feels like I'll never work on lists like this at this rate.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I know I've never been a big reader, but I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I've only read one of the books on this list, and even more embarrassed that that one book is IT. :-/

I do plan on reading a lot more and actually planned on getting some books over the weekend, so this list is very handy. Thanks. 1984 has been recommended, so I will be starting with that one though.

The closest a book has ever come to changing my life would be Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Konshentz Reading 9
Mirage Reading 3
Impaired Reading 1
AmericanMusic Reading 5
MissMe Reading 7