Movies 300 Sequel

Vegito728

Registered Member
Back in June we confirmed that Warner Brothers was looking to develop a sequel to 300. At first, this seemed like a terrible idea, but with more updates on the project, it doesn't sound so bad. IESB talked with Zack Snyder earlier tonight and got an update on their plans. Snyder revealed that Frank Miller is actually planning to write another graphic novel that would take place between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea (that was at the very end of 300). So it's actually not really a sequel or a prequel, but a combination that would seemingly be focused on the character of Dilios, played by David Wenham in 300.

When asked whether he might be interested in directing, Snyder answered that he definitely would, only on the condition that the graphic novel be completed separately from the movie. He wants Frank to finish that comic before they even start on a script. Snyder won't have any input into the graphic novel and wants it to be Frank's own creation. In regards to the story, as explained, there is quite a bit of time between the Battle of Thermopylae and the Battle of Plataea. If you recall, Dilios is retelling the story of King Leonidas at the end of 300 to a new battalion of Spartans. That battle that they're about to fight is the Battle of Plataea.

My guess is that everyone only thought about the idea of a direct sequel to 300, which would be like making a sequel to Titanic - obviously that makes no sense. However, there are quite a few stories around the time of the Battle of Thermopylae that can still be told. And obviously there are numerous battles as well. I'm sure I'm not the only one that wanted to see Dilios lead those 10,000 Spartans in the fight against the Persians at the end of 300. And with both Zack Snyder and Frank Miller involved, I'm not worried at all. In the end it'll be much less of a sequel and much more of a different story set in that same time.
Source: Zack Snyder Reveals Story Details for 300 Sequel « FirstShowing.net

I loved 300 but I'm not sure it needs a sequel. And Dilios wasn't exactly the coolest character. He's no Leonidas.

So what do you all think of a sequel? Yay or Nay?

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I thought "Nay" of the original 300. A sequel definitely would be just as bad.

All it was was fancy camera work and random battles. There was next to NO character development and when people got killed you really didn't care.

I guess it was supposed to be an epic. I think they overdid it to the max and instead ended up with an epic fail.

I have zero interest in seeing a sequel/prequel or whatever it would be.

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
All it was was fancy camera work and random battles. There was next to NO character development and when people got killed you really didn't care.
It wasn't trying to be deep though. It was attempting to be artistic in ways people thought weren't possible- that's the reason it was a digital backlot.

Also to say the characters were shallow ignores the whole Sparta subplot, where the wife is revealed to be powerful and complex.
=

I'm rather interested. I'm assuming this one would be more like the non-combat half. The dialogue was fairly well put together, and I'm interested to see how the movie comes together in terms of sfx without battle and gore.

troubl3dmind

Registered Member
I thought 300 was a good movie for what it was supposed to be... just an action flick. Although I got smashed and went with this girl to it and fell asleep within the first 15 minutes, it wasn't because it was boring... it was cuz I was SMASHED... If you know the history of the spartans and the way they fought, and even the battle of 300, which wasn't actually 300 spartans, the movie just added more drama to the epic battle.

What actually happened was the spartans along with a couple other cities sent 1000 or so soldiers to hell's gates, just like in the movie. They actually did give king xerxes a scare because they fought so well. They eventually died in the end just like in the movie, but they gave the greeks enough time to assemble a massive naval fleet that not only defeated the persians on their own land, but took over part of persia and broke up xerxes empire.

Knowing that story, how much of a plot were they supposed to have in the movie??? BTW I would still say no to a sequal... LOL

It sounds like an okay idea but the fact that it would be different from the novel might ruin the franchise.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I am a fan of the 300 movie, I would defenitely watch the sequel if they ever decide to make one. I think it could actually get a lot of interest. It would probably surprise a lot of people just like 300 did when he first came out at the movie theaters.

So I'm defenitly yay for the sequel.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I thought 300 was a pretty awesome movie. I don't think it needs a sequel, but I'll check it out for sure.