• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

3 Million Gallons Of Contaminated Water released Into River

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Officials are warning residents, farmers and outdoor enthusiasts to avoid the water. The spill occurred at Cement Creek, releasing contaminants that will eventually make their way downstream toward New Mexico and Utah, in a river system that links to the Colorado River and Arizona.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...lion-gallons-of-contaminated-water-into-river

I guess everyone has heard about this and how the EPA is responsible for it. I think this is horrible, a beautiful river ruined, it looks nasty. I have my doubts it can be cleaned up properly. I guess all the wildlife in lives in that river or drinks out of it are dead.

Thoughts?

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
:eek: Dead!
This is just so totally effing nuts! The waste water was already behind a dam so why the F did the EPA mess that up? And they waited 24 hours. How can anybody know where its safe to go and especially while its still summer if the EPA isnt even transparent?
Not gonna call it a "accident" since there was no reason to be effing around with that dam that was keeping the waste contained.

Also that can kill a lot of animals and trees and stuff. And if an animal dies and another one eats it then it can die too and the fish can spread it too. Its a epic disaster! Even tons worse than Windows 10!

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Some people were using that water to irrigate with before the spill. Wonder what they will do now.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Some people were using that water to irrigate with before the spill. Wonder what they will do now.
That scary too on so many levels! I mean I didnt even know about the spill till now because summer. I dont have free time for the news if Im all over swimming and parties and stuff. So there could be farmers that didnt know what happened till it was too late. People could eat some of those crops like picking a apple off a tree.

Also the EPA needs to compensate those farmers and they also need to inspect any food that comes out of that region. Some farmers might worry more about making money than if their crops got poisoned.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
They will probably have to compensate the state. I'm sure this will hurt tourism.

I couldn't believe people were paddling Kayaks around in it. It would be so easy to splash some of it on your face.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Animas is looking better but looks can be deceiving. If the contaminates settle to the bottom it still could pose a risk I would think.

Some communities are shutting off their water, seven in Colorado and New Mexico. There are also some concerns about it making it to Lake Powell. With the ongoing drought they don't need this.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...a-s-spill-of-3-million-gallons-of-toxic-water

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yes that is a ugly toxic mess. Maybe next time they try to drain a gold mine of its poisonous water, there are many others, they will do a little research first on the best way to do it.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Investigations, reviews, political speeches, politicians that say the most toxic spill ever wont have any effect on the wildlife (Yeah I really believe that), more investigations, more reviews...
Everyones focused on the Like button and nobody even has a plan to clean up the toxins.

Also even if they have political connections the farmers wont get enough clean water to save their crops.
All the EPA and the government wants to do is get Likes.
And they dont care that people are losing their businesses or if animals are dying. They only care about each other and the Like button.
http://www.wired.com/2015/08/orange-river-epas-reputation-need-cleanup/