• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

3 interesting pieces of Legislation from the week of Jan. 24th

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
So these are a few legislative pieces from the last week in the U.S. House/Senate. None passed, but I think that they provide some interesting smaller topics for discussion. I look forward to hearing peoples' opinions.

House

Overseas Jobs - This was defeated, a Democratic plan to (as a part of a GOP budget cutting piece of legislation) curb the practice of sending jobs abroad. Specifically, a yes vote meant that the Dept. of Labor would have found to be outsourcing jobs would have been denied Federal Contracts.

Attack Ads - This was also defeated, it sought to require campaign spots, such as attack ads, to identify the corporation, union, foreign govt., etc. that are paying for it.

Senate

Filibuster Presence - This legislation was defeated, it was brought forth to require Senators to be physically present and talking while conducting a Filibuster.

----

So what are your thoughts on the ideas behind the legislation? Are you for/against them on principal?

These aren't big, hot topic issues such as guns or health care, but I think they do deserve their own time in the spotlight.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I liked the filibuster rules that Reid proposed. Reid wanted them b/c he feels Repubs use the filibuster practice too often and having to be physically present during the filibuster would mean less use. That's probably true, but I think the measure would encourage more citizen participation. If 41 Senators set up camp and lived in the Senate well to force a debate to stay open, the American people would either get behind that and go to DC and support them or they would let it pass.

idk about the other 2.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Regardless of who proposed it, I really like the Filibuster idea. I'm good with the Filibuster being in place, it makes sense, but it isn't something that should be phoned in every time that someone's doing legislation. If you're going to do it, be there. It's a rule that works for everyone regardless of party...to me, the fact that it didn't pass just looks like a lot of Senators are really lazy.

I like the attack ads piece...can't make a huge reason as to why, it just makes logical sense to know who's saying things about a candidate. Political ads shouldn't be like random, hateful comments underneath a Blog or newspaper article posted online.

I really like the one involving sending jobs overseas. I'm not saying that it's a practice that should be illegal, but I do think it should be regulated. A lot of people might have jobs right now if it was. This was smart legislation in that it didn't seek to ban sending employment overseas overall, but sought to take responsibility in the Government's taking of contracts from companies that do. Kind of a leading by example sort of thing.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Regardless of who proposed it, I really like the Filibuster idea. I'm good with the Filibuster being in place, it makes sense, but it isn't something that should be phoned in every time that someone's doing legislation. If you're going to do it, be there. It's a rule that works for everyone regardless of party...to me, the fact that it didn't pass just looks like a lot of Senators are really lazy.

I like the attack ads piece...can't make a huge reason as to why, it just makes logical sense to know who's saying things about a candidate. Political ads shouldn't be like random, hateful comments underneath a Blog or newspaper article posted online.
The failure of both of these show special interest groups still hold a lot of power. It would be easy for a corporation or pac to 'buy' a politician by asking the politicians to support a filibuster with the current setup.
I agree that the advertising disclosure s it is presented is a good law also.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Yeah, the overseas jobs piece is debatable (I can see various debating on how it affects businesses vs. how it affects people seeking jobs and U.S. economics surrounding both points), but it does seem very much like the other two are more about politicians staying comfortable in their offices and maintaining the status quo.

To me, they seem very common sense and no-nonsense.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I like the overseas as presented. I just don't believe the short version of any bill until I read or skim it. I can't think of a specific example, but I've seen too many bills that claimed to be one thing and in reality weren't.