• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 3 Heart Challenge

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I died three more times at Bongo Bongo, mostly because my bow wouldn't fire when I wanted it to. I came pretty close to beating him all three of those times. I used the longshot instead of the bow on my 7th try and I raped him. I broke the six barriers at Ganon's Castle. Died once in the Forest room with the silver rupees cause I was careless. So I've died a total of thirteen times, six of which were at Bongo Bongo. All that's left is to go through the tower and fight Ganondorf/Ganon. Shouldn't be too hard.

Firstly, I added up all of my deaths (to the best of my memory) and here are the results:

Bottled fairy revivals: 7
Actual game overs: 19

Secondly, Buckeye suggested I go back and get the Ice Arrow, in the Gerudo Training Center. A difficult task, but one I could not resist. I died twice right in the first room. Stupid Stalfos are hard, especially when you can't move because you're sinking in quicksand and you have a time limit.
I died once more in another room filled with enemies. I just couldn't handle myself. I bumped into a wall of fire, got hit by one of the sword-weilding lizards, and then a laser-shooting eye (wish I knew some names right now) finished me off. I got my revenge the second time around, though. So I only died three times, not counting the three times I fell into pits.
So it wasn't too bad actually, it was a good challenge. My game did freeze on me halfway through my first time, though, which really ticked me off. But I just reset and jumped right back into it.

Thirdly, with those three extra deaths, I'd have a total of 22 game overs. The game only recorded 16, but I think that was because I turned the game off a few times after dying, and the freeze during the Gerudo training.

Lastly, you used the Longshot on Bongo Bongo instead of the bow, Buckeye? I don't understand how that could be more effective, that thing fires so slowly. Seems like the bow is the best way to go.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
RossDude said:
Lastly, you used the Longshot on Bongo Bongo instead of the bow, Buckeye? I don't understand how that could be more effective, that thing fires so slowly. Seems like the bow is the best way to go.
I've always used the longshot on Bongo Bongo, but for the three heart challenge I thought the bow would be easier since it shoots so much faster. At least three of the six times I died it was because the bow wouldn't fire when I pressed the button, instead it only raised the bow. When you're fighting a guy like Bongo Bongo and you expect your bow to fire and it doesn't, it's really hard to recover, if not impossible. You really can't afford to miss a shot against him when you only have three hearts. I don't know if the longshot made a difference or if I would have killed him with the bow on my seventh try, but I was definitely a lot more comfortable with the longshot.

RossDude said:
got hit by one of the sword-weilding lizards, and then a laser-shooting eye (wish I knew some names right now) finished me off.
Those are the lizalfos and beamos. By the way, good job on getting the Ice Arrow. I don't think I'm gonna try for it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just finished. Almost died twice going up through the tower, against the dinalfos and the stalfos. Had to go back and kill some of the fire keese to replenish my hearts. I died twice against Ganondorf, both times on the very first attack. No trouble the third time. Just had to get the timing down. Also died once against Ganon because of carelessness. Had to do the whole escape sequence again to get back to him.

Buckeye101 said:
I don't think I'll have too much trouble, but I'm sure I'll die at least a couple times. The only enemies that do significant damage are the stalfos, ironknuckles and some of the bosses. I'll probably have flawless victories against Volvagia, Morpha, Bongo Bongo, and Ganondorf/Ganon, but Phantom Ganon and Twinrova might cause problems.
Funny how that worked out. Bongo Bongo, Ganondorf and Ganon gave me the most trouble. I guess you should never underestimate an enemy that kills you in one hit.

So I died a total of 16 times and never used any bottled fairies or potion/milk.

1 vs Stalfos in Forest Temple
2 vs Dark Link
1 vs Stalfos in kid part of Spirit Temple
1 vs Floormaster in adult part of Spirit Temple
1 vs Ironknuckle in adult part of Spirit Temple
6 vs Bongo Bongo
1 in Forest room of Ganon's Castle
2 vs Ganondorf
1 vs Ganon

Overall, I had a pretty good time doing this challenge. A couple parts were a little frustrating (you can probably tell which ones by looking at the deaths), but other than that it was a lot of fun. I recommend it to any fan of the game.

Gamechamp

Registered Member
Congrats to both of you. With those many deaths, many would have quit the challenge and crushed their N64. That shows patience, and you had the skill to actually go without any extra hearts. Good job.

Absolute

Registered Member
There's no way I could do the game in 3 hearts... I've never even beat it though.. just watched someone else.. so I think of the game as more of a movie lol.

dDave

V.I.P.
I'm am fully planning on doing this on my way through my Zelda Quest, I have done this whole game before without dying once so it's kind of boring because it's so easy. maybe with this link will die with the proper amount of hits from a sword.

Games are just boring when there is no challenge to beat them.

I just wish that instead of fighting bongo bongo that you had to fight ganons shadow just like they nintendo was originally planning to do, no I'm not talking about phantom ganon, I'm talking about a real shadow, that seems like it would have been really fun.

Last edited:

dDave

V.I.P.
I will probably be able to die less times on bongo bongo, and the stalfos in the spirit temple is so easy to beat, just get him off the edge and he's helpless.

I think that I'm gonna get all of the bottles so that stuff like getting the blue fire doesn't get annoying, definitely not going to waste my time getting any heart pieces at all, I'll probably start this sometime in February to early March.

dDave

V.I.P.
Well by now I am pretty far in my 3 heart challenge, I have already completed Lord Jabu Jabu's belly and have a few things to do before I become an adult,

more details in dDave's Zelda Quest Thread