• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Nintendo 64 3 Heart Challenge

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I played for a little over an hour today. Went through the Sacred Forest Meadow to learn the warp song. (Saving the Forest Temple for later, but I wanted to be able to warp there quickly.) Then I beat the Fire Temple. Didn't have any trouble at all. Lost 1 3/4 hearts near the end though. I was hitting the pillar with the hammer and got hit by a fire bat, and then fell through the hole into the lava in the room right before the boss. Got hit once and lost one heart against the boss. Got the double magic meter. I probably don't need it since I never use magic unless it's required. The long meter looks funny with only three hearts above it. Then I beat the Ice Cavern and got the Iron Boots and Zora Tunic. I'm doing the Forest Temple next. Should start to get a lot more difficult from here.

I played for three hours today and made a lot of progress. Got through the Forest Temple. Died five or six times, twice in the first Stalfo encounter, and two or three times against Phantom Ganon. Had to get the hang of the combat again, I guess.
Then I went straight to the Fire Temple and breezed through that. Didn't die once.
Then I went back in time and got the Lens of Truth, then learned Epona's Song. I then became an adult again and proceeded to acquire Epona and unfreeze the Zora King. So now I'm at the Water Temple and I'm not looking forward to playing through it.
Thankfully, though, the game has gotten more fun. I think I wasn't enjoying it earlier because it was too easy. I would get through everything real fast and have to endure the long cutscenes. It's all good now.

I've been playing a lot lately, and making a lot of progress. I got through the Water Temple yesterday in one sitting. I refused to shut the game off before finishing it. It took two hours, and I died twice against Dark Link (had to figure out how to beat him again) and used a bottled fairy against Morpha. I think I'm done using bottled fairies, I've used them too much and I feel like I'm cheating.

After the Water Temple, I learned the Nocturne of Shadow at Kakariko. Then I joined the Gerudos and learned the Requiem of Spirit. I then proceeded to go back in time, acquire Din's Fire (I actually checked a guide for this because I couldn't remember where it was), and then go through the first half of the Spirit Temple. I died 3 or 4 times against the Iron Knuckle (one hit kills). My initial strategies against him were just stupid, now that I think about it. Then I beat the rest of the temple as an adult. The Twinrova fight was way more fun than I remember it being. I also died once in that fight, trying to remember how to hit the other sister.

Still enjoying it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I beat the Forest Temple. I died on the Stalfos battle right before getting the bow. Then on my second try they kept regenerating cause I was being too cautious and killing them too slowly, so I ended up killing them like 5 or 6 times before I decided I needed to be more aggressive. It's definitely a lot harder using the Master Sword instead of the Biggorons Sword, which I'm not gonna get. The Ironknuckle battles later in the game should be interesting. The rest of the level was really easy. I only got hit once against Phantom Ganon. I was hoping I could beat the game with zero deaths. Oh well. I'll probably die a few more times.

Well, I did it.

The Shadow Temple wasn't too bad. I died five or six times against Bongo Bongo. I had to relearn how to beat him and avoid his one-hit kill moves.
Ganon's Tower was actually quite easy. I didn't die once until I started making my way up through the tower, where I suffered three deaths to the double Iron Knuckle battle. I also died once right at the start of the Ganondorf battle because I wasn't expecting his first attack. On the second attempt, though, I got through the rest of the game.

It was a good challenge and I'm glad I did it.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Congrats, Ross. What was your final death count? Did you get the Biggorons Sword or the heart meter upgrade outside Ganon's Tower?

I played for a while today. I beat the Water Temple. It was really easy (yet very tedious) except for Dark Link. He killed me twice cause I couldn't figure out how to hit him with the Master Sword or the hammer, so I just used Din's Fire the third try. Didn't get hit once against Morpha, though I did run into the spikes along the wall (only took away 1/4 heart).

Got the Fire Arrows, Nocturne of Shadow, Lens of Truth and the Gerudo membership card. Then I tried crossing the Haunted Wasteland at night which was a mistake. I went off-course cause I couldn't see the red flags you're supposed to follow, and that took away a whole heart. Played the Suns Song so I could do it during the day, which made a huge difference. I got hit a couple times by some Leevers (those annoying green things) and before I knew it I was down to 1/2 a heart. Had to make some really clutch dodges, but I made it to the Spirit Temple and learned the Requiem of Spirit.

Then I warped to the Graveyard and got the Hover Boots from the Shadow Temple, and then completed the child part of the Spirit Temple and got the Silver Gauntlets. I died once against the Stalfos and was one hit away from dying in the room with the wallmaster, a bunch of keese, and the silver rupees. Didn't get hit by the Ironknuckle.

My death count is at four. All I have left to do before Ganon's Tower is finish up the Shadow and Spirit Temples. Only part I'm worried about is fighting Twinrova. I should finish up either tonight or tomorrow.

My final death count as recorded on the game was 16, but I died a few more times than that (I turned the game off a few times after dying, so some deaths weren't recorded because of that, and there were also the few bottled fairy revivals I used). I'm a little disappointed in how many times I died, but there was no way around it for me. It had been two years since I last played, so I had to relearn pretty much everything.

No, I didn't get the Biggoron's Sword or the health meter upgrade. The Biggoron's Sword is too long of a sidequest, I didn't feel like going through with it. I prefer having my shield and sword when I'm in battle anyway.

Also, isn't weird how hard Dark Link was? I remember him being easy back when I first fought him. The way I beat him this time around was to wait for him to attack me. Right when he attacked I would hit A to jump attack him. It would hit him most of the time.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I'm playing like crap today. I died against the invisible floormaster in the Spirit Temple. I never knew you could lose three hearts by getting grabbed by one of the mini hands. Then I died against the Ironknuckle right before Twinrova. Had a flawless fight against Twinrova. Cruised through the Shadow Temple until Bongo Bongo, then he killed me three times. I got frustrated and quit. I've never had any trouble with this guy in the past and I usually beat him without getting hit. But today, as soon as I started the fight each time, the camera was turned the wrong way and I couldn't get it turned around before getting squashed because of the damn bouncing. It was really pissing me off. I'm up to 9 deaths now.

You lost three hearts to a mini hand? That's weird. I got grabbed by them and I managed to get free of it. Did you mash buttons or anything? I may have broken free of it because I started rotating the joystick and mashing the buttons.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Yeah, I was mashing buttons like crazy. I actually got grabbed again the next time but got out of it with 1 heart left.