Nintendo 64 3 Heart Challenge

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Major, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I plan on beating Ocarina of Time with only three hearts as soon as I finish up Majora's Mask, which hopefully won't be too much longer. Anyway, I'm wondering what you guys think should be considered legal or illegal when it comes to stuff like bottled fairies, Lon Lon Milk, red potion, and the heart meter upgrade outside Ganon's Castle. I'm thinking I shouldn't use any of them. Suggestions?

I don't think I'll have too much trouble, but I'm sure I'll die at least a couple times. The only enemies that do significant damage are the stalfos, ironknuckles and some of the bosses. I'll probably have flawless victories against Volvagia, Morpha, Bongo Bongo, and Ganondorf/Ganon, but Phantom Ganon and Twinrova might cause problems. I'm looking forward to getting started.

SamusAran86 likes this.

2. RossDude

RossDude Beep

I'm planning on trying this as well, but it'll be a while before I get to it.

Anyway, I think using Lon Lon Milk, bottles fairies, and red potions is fine, but I'd try not to overdo it (using 4 bottles fairies in one boss fight for instance). I would say no to getting the upgrade outside of Ganondorf's tower, that's basically adding onto your life.

This might be pretty rough for me when I decide to do it. I haven't played the game in a little over two years so I think it will be a nice challenge. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I'll accept everything except for the upgrade outside of the castle. Four bottled faries is fine by me, but you'll get more health from the milk.

4. dk_rare

dk_rare Registered Member

I'd say use whatever you like. Maybe if you want a challenge, limit yourself to just getting one bottle, if that is at all possible?

5. Major

Yeah, there's only one bottle you have to get, the one with Ruto's letter inside. That's actually not a bad idea. Just get the one bottle and use it however I like.

6. Gamechamp

Gamechamp Registered Member

Ah, the old 3 heart quest... a legendary quest repeated many times throughout the history of Zelda. Now, on my personal opinion, things that restore health are OK. Things that upgrade it, no way.

However, I guess you could try it using 3 hearts without healing... but that'd be PRETTY hard. I don't know if that's ever been done before.

7. RossDude

RossDude Beep

So I got started on this the other day. It's been a long time since I last played so it's proving to be tougher than I expected. Here are some noteworthy experiences:

Collected two bottles: I got my first bottle in Kakariko by collecting all of the Cuccos. I had forgotten the reward was a bottle. I also have Ruto's bottle.

Died once in Jabu-Jabu's belly: It was a reckless mistake. I was rushing, didn't make a jump, and fell to my death. A bottled fairy revived me, though, and I continued onward.

Died again in the Sacred Forest Meadow: After becoming an adult and getting the hookshot, I was rushing through the maze with the giant spear-weilding ogres. Like last time, I died due to carelessness, but a bottled fairy revived me. However, I turned the game off when this happened because I was annoyed.

I must say, I'm not enjoying it that much. It has nothing to do with only having three hearts, I'm just not enjoying the game like I have in the past. Maybe it's because I'm rushing, maybe it's because I've played through the game several times before, I don't know. I will complete the challenge, though.

8. Gamechamp

That's troo bad that you aren't enjoying it. But look on the bright side: your only deaths were due to carelessness, so you'll probably be able to get through the challenge okay.

9. Major

Ross, you inspired me to finally get started on this thing. I got to where you are except I quit after getting the horse and the hookshot, so I haven't gone through the Sacred Forest Meadow as an adult yet. All the stuff in between the dungeons is really boring, but at least it goes faster when you're not playing mini-games and collecting heart pieces and stuff like that. Still took about three hours to get all that done though, a lot of it is the long cutscenes and running from place to place. I breezed through the dungeons. Haven't lost more than a heart yet so I'm pretty confident. I only got the one mandatory bottle with the letter in it, and I haven't used it for anything other than catching the fish.

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to get the Biggorons Sword. I think I might not get it. I'm probably not going to bottle any fairies or potion unless I start having a lot of trouble. The game starts getting a lot harder now as an adult.

10. Gamechamp

Heh, funny thing is,you're even farther than I got collecting hearts. The game always got stolen before I could get very far. The farthest I got was the first temple as an adult. Good luck, I wish I could join you in doing the challenge.