• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

3 day auctions or a full week?

palefrost

Registered Member
I cant decide if a three day auction is worth it over a full week. Does anyone know the best items that sell better with a three day auction over a week? What is the benefit of just three days over a full week?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
3 Day auctions are nice when people want the win the item quickly and receive it just a few days after bidding. This works well for hyped up items (Tickle-Me-Elmo's, etc) where 10 days later the market could have changed.

Otherwise, if it's just a normal item I tend to put 7 to 10 day items up.

katharina

Registered Member
I have wanted to try a 3-day listing in the past but for whatever reason, I always end up sticking to the 7 days. I guess for one reason, I've noticed that it's better for me to allow more people to find the auction. :nod:

eldragon

I like 5 days auctions the best for hot items that there is a good market for. For something a bit rarer - and there may only be a few buyers watching - I do 7 days.

SouthernGal

Registered Member
I usually always stick to 7 days. *IF* I have something really really hot, I'll do 5 or even 3. But that is only to generate a flurry of activity and furious bidding.

Most of the time, I think 7 days gives my item lots of time for exposure and increases the chances of me selling it!

karenlyn

Registered Member
I think Andrew's way is best. I generally don't sell hot market items, but if I did, I would probably choose to do a three-day auction, too. As is, I almost always go 7-day.

AngelsPeak

Wanna play?
For me it depends on the category I'm listing in. If it's the artists category, which literally has 1,000's of pieces to sift through, I usually do a 3 day auction, mainly because the item is lost for the days in between.
If it's in a category which isn't as popular, I'll do a 5 day auction most times. 7 days just seems like a waste of time because the 3rd and 4th days get the fewest hits while the item makes it's way to the ending soonest pages.

palefrost

Registered Member
So hot and trendy for shorter turn around. Ive always done the full week. I figured why not have the max time on the item.

Plumley

Registered Member
My experience has been that the longer an item is listed the higher the bids. But I don't usually buy or sell hot items and shorter auctions for them make sense. As a buyer, I love three day auctions, simply because I get my item quicker.

SouthernGal

Registered Member
As a buyer, I love three day auctions, simply because I get my item quicker.
True enough! When I am an excited buyer, I watch those auctions all day long and it is so much nicer when it is over in only 3 days!! I am not very patient when I have found something I REALLY want!

As a seller... I like the longer auctions, since more people can actually see my item.