• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

3-3 instead of the shootout

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe it was Ken Holland who suggested that there should be a 5 or 10(not sure) period of 3-3 before the shootout. I'm not to sure of the details, so I apologize if I'm a bit wrong - if I am please correct me.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Would you be in favor of this?

StroShow

The return shall be legenday!
V.I.P.
Sudden victory. 10 minutes 4 on 4, followed by 10 minutes 3 on 3, and then shoot out, if no winner. No points awarded to losing team. So it forces coaches to play for the regulation win, as opposed to playing toward getting point for a tie and taking chance on the extra point in overtime/shootout

Crypticshock

Registered Member
10 and 10 and shootout is too much for the average fan to attend with the demands on our current society.

Here is my dream, it will never happen because the NHL is filled with "old school" farts that will not accept large "total points" for season totals.

3 Points for a Regulation win.
2 Points for a Overtime/Shootout win.
1 Point for a Overtime/Shootout loss.

Overtime is 10 minutes. The first stoppage in play after the five minute mark, the players on the ice is cut down to 3vs3.

RLeesam

5 min 4 on 4, then 5 min 3 on 3. I think 10 minutes per would be a bit too much. Imagine how entertaining it would be. Like a team desperate for a ROW win and just putting 3 scoring forwards on in hopes of getting a quick goal.

Willey101

I personally don't like the idea. Then again I am not a big fan of 4 on 4 either.

Maybe I am alone here but when I go to a game i find myself enjoying the game itself. I sit there and admire the defensive set up of a team without the puck or to watch a player look for the open ice as a play develops. Watching a game live is where you learn to love and appreciate the sport. On TV you basically follow the puck and miss so much more of what I love about the sport.

When OT hits and all of a sudden you play 4 on 4, the game changes. It goes from a tactical sport to a game of chance. Nothing more than a game of pond hockey or shinny where the player with the biggest offensive abilities, a Kovalev for instance, is the most dangerous person on the ice. Forget watching a play develop, forget the forecheck or an offensive zone cycle creating havoc on a defensive unit. It's a game where one slip, one bad pinch and it's all over. Exciting for sure, but not hockey.

If you make it 3 on 3, I think the game just gets worse.

Crypticshock

Registered Member
I prefer 4v4 and 3v3 over a shoot out any day of the week, month, year, decade and century!

Crypticshock said:
10 and 10 and shootout is too much for the average fan to attend with the demands on our current society.

Here is my dream, it will never happen because the NHL is filled with "old school" farts that will not accept large "total points" for season totals.

3 Points for a Regulation win.
2 Points for a Overtime/Shootout win.
1 Point for a Overtime/Shootout loss.

Overtime is 10 minutes. The first stoppage in play after the five minute mark, the players on the ice is cut down to 3vs3.
I actually like that formula. Better than the one I was thinking about:

3 points for a regulation win
2 points for an overtime win
1 point for a shootout win
0 points for any loss

I thought this would prevent some teams to tank the regulation and playing for the OT points but your system might be more fair than mine.