• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

3,000 mile oil changes?

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I have mine changed about every 3-4 months. If I went by mileage, it would be 6 months before I got an oil change, and I feel that would be too long.

Unfortunately my car has hit the stage where it apparently needs it's first radiator flush, and I don't really have the money for it. boo

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
I have mine changed about every 3-4 months. If I went by mileage, it would be 6 months before I got an oil change, and I feel that would be too long.

Unfortunately my car has hit the stage where it apparently needs it's first radiator flush, and I don't really have the money for it. boo
Good for you AK! It will pay off in the long run. I wouldn't worry too much about the coolant if you go over, but that is important too. Mostly for corrosion resistance. If your car doesn't overheat then it shouldn't be too big a deal. I didn't have mine done until 150,000mi, not good! :lol:

LifeinthePond

Mark ov teh Pond
Well, I live in the upper Midwest and my oil (when I had a car) was changed for winter and summer, no matter the mileage.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Good for you AK! It will pay off in the long run. I wouldn't worry too much about the coolant if you go over, but that is important too. Mostly for corrosion resistance. If your car doesn't overheat then it shouldn't be too big a deal. I didn't have mine done until 150,000mi, not good! :lol:
Well, my first couple of cars were POS, and my ex-FIL was a mechanic. He was always fixing my cars and instilling in me how important it was to get the maintenance done. lol

Ok, I don't feel so bad now, because I am approaching 50k. I was hoping to put it off for a bit. I think it's about $80. I thought that it could wait since it's starting to get cooler outside. And no, it doesn't overheat...and I have a Toyota. They are awesome cars.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I change the oil in my truck every 3K miles and change the transmission fluid regularly as well. I have 153K on my truck and it still runs like new. I'm hoping for at least another 150K on that thing before it's all said and done.

Blueyes

Registered Member
@ Blue: just beware of someone trying to sell you a "tune up"! Find out what they mean by that because it can be a scam. Before computer controls cars used to require periodic re-adjustment of the timing and a new rotor & distributor cap. Those parts have been eliminated with computer controls so there is no such thing as a "tune up" any more. I would be suspect of any mechanic/shop that uses that term and they should explain EXACTLY what they mean by that. If they are referring to new spark plugs and wires, well OK. Most good shops won't use that term anymore and would take the time to explain that to you.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!
your tune up and my tune up are probably different, when i refer to a tune up i just mean spark plugs and new wires. I've already had a few other things that go with that like air filter, fuel filter, etc done. Sides my BIL is gonna be doing it and he wont do crap just cuz he can cuz he aint charging me for it so lol

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
BIL - had to look that up, lol. Now I understand!

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I treated my last car - a 2000 Cavalier - like shit. I only changed the oil every 6k miles AT BEST. It's over 10 years old, has 200,000 miles on it and my stepson is still driving it.

My new car - a 2010 Escape - apparently you only need to change the oil every 7500 miles. I had it changed at around 5500 and was feeling guilty until I actually read the manual :facepalm:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
My car has an oil sensor that basically tells me when to change my oil. I bought the car brand new and during the first year I changed my oil every 3000 miles even though my manual clearly stated that I did not have to change it until I recieve a message in my car 'change oil soon.' When I started doing that I always worried about the oil light coming on and never came on and my car is running fine four years later.

Dabs

Registered Member
I heard recently where they were saying you don't have to go by the 3000 mile rule anymore...you can let your car go for up to 5000 miles.
Of course it depends on how new or old your car is.
I have 2 cars, one I change the oil about every 3000 miles...but the other, I let it go about 5000.