3,000 mile oil changes?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Do you still change your oil on your car every 3,000 miles?

Like the ?55 Chevy, the 3,000-Mile Oil Change Is Pretty Much History - Yahoo! Finance

According to that link you don't really need too anymore. I remember hearing 3,000 all the time growing up so I usually semi-stick to that since my car was made in 2000. One time I left it go to 5,000 though. My Mom told me a story when I was learning to drive how her Dad never told her about oil changes so she never got it changed it and it wrecked her car.

So how about you people?

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I change my oil every three months, my father is mechanic and he tells me it's the best way to maintain your oil. I know someone who ran out of oil in their engine and it wrecked the car and it would of cost him 2,000$ to change the engine.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I have always driven new cars, of which I am the first owner, so as a result, I have my oil changed when I do my services, which is on 1500, 3000 and 4500. I've never had a car long enough to have to do it after that. :lol:

Oooh_snap

Living on the 0th floor
V.I.P.
I change it as often as the dealer says to.. Or when my maintenance light comes on. My Acura was only recommended to change every 10,000 miles, and often times I did wait that long, but if it seemed like it was taking forever to reach 10,000 miles then I would just go ahead and have it changed. I'm not even sure the recommendation on my newest car, but I am guessing it is probably 5,000 miles. Either way I'll be changing it at 5,000. Considering the oil I use and the amount I drive, every 3,000 would be super often for me.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
It is all a trade off. Do you want your vehicle to last 200,000mi? 500,000mi? It is all up to you.

I try to change the oil every 3000mi, not because the oil has lost it's ability to lubricate, but because it is dirty. To me going 5000, 7500, 10000 miles between changes is short sighted. The oil is the wearing part, to be recycled. Conserving the wearing part will cost you the parts that the oil is protecting. Oil is cheap, a new motor and the labor to swap a motor are not.

BTW I work in the auto repair/maintenance industry as a sales rep. I drive A LOT! and my 2004 Toyota Tacoma is approaching 200,000 mi and I expect another 200,000.

MAgnum9987

Do What Thou Wilt
For heavy driving, like at top speed, or hauling loads regularly, stick to the regular 3000 Mile change (but with synthetics you can go 5000), but for regular driving such as the daily commute, you can go 4500 Miles on regular oil. Synthetic as high as 6000 miles (though I'd change every 5000).

Yes, Acura does SAY to change every 10K, but in reality, manufacturers have been saying that for a least a decade for the first model year of a car, then do an about face and say to change it every 3k after a year or so. It reaally does do damage if you don't.

You see, oil doesn't just lubricate your engine. It also accounts for 30% of cooling, removes particles, protects the engine, and prevents chemical damage. the engine running leaves all sorts of chemicals including water (which on its own will destroy a motor), and soot, so the oil removes that. Then metal on metal contact will remove particles from the motor. I learned that any particle The size of, or bigger than a grain of sand will destroy a motor, and the oil and oil filter will remove all of that junk.

So, changing your oil is important. Change it every 4500 miles AT MOST (if using regular), every 6000 if using full synthetic.

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
My current engine (old one blew a head gasket and it was just cheaper to swap engines) has around 80,000 original miles and runs great. I use high mileage synthetic oil with the highest rated filter whatever store I'm at happens to have. The engine runs ery smooth and I use a slightly different set of rules for changing my oil.

1. Always change it with the seasons. Fall to Winter and Winter to Spring are automatic oil changes for me.
2. As soon as I notice a slip in fuel mileage it is time to change the oil. This will usually happen somewhere between four or seven thousand miles on a change.
3. Never break 8,000 miles on oil. The stuff I use (with the filter) for 10,000 miles between changes.

This formula seems to work well for all of my vehicles.

Arathald

Registered Member
My car manufacturer recommends 6,000 miles, and I use synthetic, so I generally go 6,000-8,000, sometimes more. I usually judge when it's time for an oil change by how the oil looks, so it might vary anywhere in the 4,000-10,000 range, depending on a whole lot of factors. I've had my car since 87,000 miles, and it now has over 150,000, and still runs great, I've never had a single problem with it besides the alternator going out at 110k (which is perfectly expected, and it only took about 25 minutes for me to replace it myself).

Blueyes

Registered Member
Recently I've been getting my oil changed at the dealership cuz I got a free years worth of service due to them discontinuing Pontiac and sometimes the tags say 3K and sometimes they say 5K. Although normally I try to do it every 3K at Precision Tune. Now tune ups is another story, I still have yet to get one done and I'm almost at 100K. My BIL who is a mechanic and worked for GMC said that the new cars don't require it until around 100K so by the end of the year the old girl is gonna get a tune up along with an instrument panel replacement, horn replacement again, blower fan motor replacement again, reverse lights repaired, fuel gauge sensor replaced, and a fog light replaced. Nothing like waiting until your cars paid for to fix everything.

@ Blue: just beware of someone trying to sell you a "tune up"! Find out what they mean by that because it can be a scam. Before computer controls cars used to require periodic re-adjustment of the timing and a new rotor & distributor cap. Those parts have been eliminated with computer controls so there is no such thing as a "tune up" any more. I would be suspect of any mechanic/shop that uses that term and they should explain EXACTLY what they mean by that. If they are referring to new spark plugs and wires, well OK. Most good shops won't use that term anymore and would take the time to explain that to you.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!