• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2Checkout

How do you get around this?

• I Follow The Rules & Have Multiple Accounts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Use One 2CO Account On All My Sites

• I Link All My Order Systems To One Website

• I Do Not Use 2Checkout

• Total voters

rallyriver

As per their TOS, you must have a separate account for each website you wish to accept credit cards on. Is any one else annoyed by this? What do you do to circumvent this, if anything?

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I don't use them but that's one of the things that bugs me about them. It's such a hassle to set up multiple accounts, especially if you are incorporated, and technically all of your websites are under the same company.

The redirect method would work if you only accepted cards through one site, but still, it's an extra step than can confuse your buyers.

IslandGuy

Registered Member
Although I don't have a website that sells anything (although I know a lot of people who do), I personally don't know anyone that uses 2Checkout. In fact, I've never heard of it before.

It certainly does seem that the situation you describe would make it difficult to engage in anything other than a pretty small business confined to one website.

What other options are out there right now besides PayPal and 2Checkout? (confessing ignorance here, but interest in case I diversify in the future). Thanks for any input.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
Well there's thousands of Merchant accounts you can get (which basically is what 2Checkout is). As for PayPal clones, there's Western Union and BidPay. (I think WU might own BP though I'm not sure).

I don't use these much either, but I have used PayPal a lot in the past, and at one point I worked for them.

IslandGuy

Registered Member
Andrew said:
Well there's thousands of Merchant accounts you can get (which basically is what 2Checkout is). As for PayPal clones, there's Western Union and BidPay. (I think WU might own BP though I'm not sure).

I don't use these much either, but I have used PayPal a lot in the past, and at one point I worked for them.
Hiya Andrew,

I find that intriguing that you worked for PayPal in the past. Do you think they're going to be in trouble with the pretty certain news that Yahoo and Google will come up with some kind of payment option? With all the additions of features the two search engines are making, I really think they're going to start charging for some before too long and will need a pay feature too.

BTW, since you worked for PayPal, do you know anyway to really get rid of those extremely annoying spoof emails I keep getting, other than just forwarding them on to PayPal or eBay? I know a lot of people are in the same situation and I'm sure some people have been fooled by them too, so just in case .... unless an email from PayPal saying they need to contact you has your name in the "Dear" part (instead of just "Dear PayPal Member"-), it's a phony email that's trying to redirect you to another site that will attempt to get you to give them personal info they can then use towards identity theft and other such scams. The email may look EXACTLY like a PayPal one, but the key thing is, it's only from PayPal if it's got your name in the salutation.

Whoa, sorry to go one about that, but I'm really get tired of so many spoof emails and PayPal just sending out the same old form letter saying it was a fake (I already knew that) and they're looking into it. Do you know anything about this, Andrew? I know this is off-topic in a way for this thread, but I guess all online payment options probably suffer from the same problem.

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
1. I think PayPal will have some good competition which will be good for everyone since Yahoo and Google will have to compete as well to be the best. It will force all of them to raise their standards. :D

2. Since you have a PayPal account you probably don't realize that those aren't directed JUST at PayPal users. They are randomly spammed just like the rest of spam, to anyone the spammers can get an email address for. People who don't have an account get confused at most, but they are counting on people who are used to getting PayPal emails to fall into their trap. All you can do is delete them or put them in your auto-spam folder if you have one. Unfortunately, many of them show up as from something @paypal.com directly (even though they are not, it's just a header modification) so your spam folder will block all real paypal emails too if you do that. It's a mess but there's nothing really that can be done on your end. :(

Mr_Snipes

Registered Member
At work, we receive probably 20 of these types of email per day. It can be a hassle to have to delete them everyday, but after you have been doing them for awhile, you will begin to recognize them very quickly so you won't have to look the email over as closely. The quickest way I have found to figure out if they are from paypal or ebay is mouse over each of the links very quickly.

I look at each of the links quickly and check the part of the link between the "http://" and the first "/". If the part right before the first "/" on any of the links does not end in either "paypal.com" or "ebay.com" then it is 90% confirmed that it is fraud. It may take a little time, but eventually you do become fairly good and figuring out if an email is a spoof or not.

softwarewiz

Registered Member
Yeah, I get them too. Plus I'm starting to get the same kind of spoof from banks I don't even have accounts with.

As for 2Checkout, I've used them in the past, but I still prefer PayPal. A while back Google was talking about a Google Wallet, but that idea got dropped then. Wouldn't be surprised to see it come back though now that they're expanding all their services. After all, they are going to have to start charging for some of these cool things somehow. I know they make almost all their money from advertising, but as they become a portal, the costs have to be mounting up and now they've got stockholders to answer to since going public.

I think I'll stick with PayPal. I've noticed a lot more merchants are beginning to offer it as a payment option, which is helpful to me, while I wait to get established with some credit (just out of school and short time at first real job).

mikeswealth

Registered Member
PayPal are good, but if you have a lot of transactions, they
will sometimes lock your account till you prove that what
you are doing is legal.

A friend of mine had his account locked and lost over
$2000....They never replied to his emails....so who knows???