27 years in jail for a murder he did not commit

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Bananas, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

Briton to go free after 27 years in jail for murder | Lifestyle | Reuters

That is a long time to be convicted of a crime you did not do! I heard on the radio today that had he pleaded guilty instead of protesting his innocence, he would of most likely been eligible for parole and possibly would of been released sooner.

This is one of the reasons why capital punishment is too much of a final punishment/solution when such miscarriages of justice exist. How do you repay someone for 27 years of their life? can you?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

I don't get why pleading guilty gives a lighter sentence (in this case, the possibility of parole and early release). There was also a thread here a couple of weeks ago where the person had to plead guilty to get life sentence instead of death penalty (if he pleads not guilty). Weird.

Anyway, with the DNA evidence, this is not the first time I've seen cases overruled after so many years. I wonder if they have some sort of a compensation or help to get their life back after being wrongfully punished. Now as for those who already died...there's nothing much you can do. They probably don't even check the case after death. I'm sure it would still be helpful for the families to know the truth, if they had doubts.

3. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

What a coincidence, I was just reading this on the Metro website.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, I wonder how many more convictions could be turned over from before the use of DNA testing.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  4. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

I'd guess it is to with showing remorse.

If you protest your innocence you can not repent the crime you have been convicted of. The parole board is not there to determine your innocence but to judge you on your repentance for the crime you have been found guilty of.

The UK has a law in place that prevents any compensation going over £500,000. Im pretty sure they have to fight for it though. He is probably only eligible for basic income support whilst he is rehabilitated back into the community. He is not going to get a job or even have a home, so I guess it will be welfare from here on.

The big money will come from the tabloids and book sales when he sells his story.

5. Envy

Envy Band Nerd ♫

It's really good that he wasn't put up for the death penalty. Of course his crime wasn't big enough for that, right? And I don't even know if Britain has the death penalty.

Regardless of all of that, I'm 100% sure that innocent people have been killed by the death penalty.

But this isn't a topic about the death penalty. XD That really sucks that he was innocent and had to spend all of that time in jail. D: He must have been really mad.

6. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

It's not just about financial compensation. The emotional pain he and his family had to endure durning his sentence. The lost memories and experiences that never happened. There is no making up for that.

7. micfranklin

micfranklin Eviscerator

What a lot of life wasted on false pretenses, and this is why use of DNA evidence is key before handing down a sentence, especially a death sentence. As for repaying the guy, don't make him pay taxes again in his life and make his health care free...or something, that sounds like it would work.

8. Nevyrmoore

Nevyrmoore AKA Ass-Bandit

We scrapped the death penalty back in the '60s and '70s. Though there are times I think we should make special exceptions.

Oh, and mic? Unless he has to start paying National Insurance again, his health care will be free anyway unless he goes private. NHS and all.

9. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

That's really annoying, to put it lightly. At least he is free. I wonder if he'll get his working wage (or even minimum wage) multiplied by 27 to make up for the time he spent in jail. He should get something at least. Something that makes this much less annoying for him, considering that he lost 27 years of his life.

As for this being a case against capital punishment, you have to remember that he was disproved due to DNA. They can use DNA now to prove people guilty as well. I still agree that it should only be used when it's absolutely certain that the person committed the crime, but even then by that same argument it's not like we want to be putting people away for life unless we are absolutely certain too. It's a pickle.

There are definitely times when you can be 100% sure though beyond any shadow of a doubt. One example would be when people videotape themselves torturing and killing people. I mean, that's pretty "guilty" if you ask me.

10. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

It's pretty messed up that someone can have 27 years of his life taken away from him for something he didn't do and was totally out of his control, and then receive no compensation for it. "Sorry for the mistake, you're free to go now."