269 electoral tie

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by MenInTights, Sep 23, 2008.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

I mentioned this earlier on a different thread and saw this link today:
    Washington Times - 269 tie: An electoral college 'doomsday'?

Its a fascinating idea. The article said there is great confusion about who would vote and how, but I though we had already went through an electoral tie before? (too busy at work to research it now)

Yeah, probably won't happen, but fun reading anyway.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

From what I understand, the Senate votes in the event of a tie. I've only heard that though. I have no sources to back it up.

3. Kazmarov

Kazmarov For a Free Scotland

No, it's the House, and each state gets one vote. So we can predict the result by asking: how many states have a majority of Democratic representatives, how many have Republican majorities, and how many are split.

I believe 30 delegations have a majority of Democrats, so the Democratic candidate would win in the event of a tie.

4. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

yeah, I thought the House voted on the ticket and if they tied, the Senate and if they tied the Speaker got the call to be President. The article I posted had some weird stuff about the Senate picking the VP which I had never heard of. There was also a Constitutional question about which House would vote(2008 or 2009), I was surprised that was even a debate.