• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

2020 Politics Thread

Impaired

Registered Member
Some year.

I would like to start by asking Trump supporters how they feel about the commutation of Blagojevich. He is the epitome of corrupt Chicago politics who actually tried to sell a seat in Congress.

It astounds me that this corrupt POS Democrat is set free by a supposedly conservative president.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I try to reverse it to see how I'd feel. A corrupt Republican set free by Barak Obama. So let's say Roger Stone was in jail for 8 years for corruption and Obama set him free. And throw in that sentence was over zealous according to people that followed it.
I Covered Blago’s Trial From Start To Finish. Trump’s Commutation Isn’t Crazy.

I put myself in that situation and it actually makes me like Obama a little more. Maybe he's not as vindictive and petty as I thought.

I seriously do not understand why I would be upset.

That article I posted talked about 2 sentences the judge handed down in the past. In both cases the judge gave a lighter sentence. In both cases people died because if the actions of the accused.

I mean Blago tried to make some cash from his political position. Senators and Congress members make $100k+/year but yet somehow are all millionaires after a few years.

It just seems like those that are in the inside politically can make all the bribes they want and those that aren't get to spend their life in jail when they try to play. He was wrong but wow it seems like he more than paid for his actions.

Impaired

Registered Member
I try to reverse it to see how I'd feel. A corrupt Republican set free by Barak Obama. So let's say Roger Stone was in jail for 8 years for corruption and Obama set him free. And throw in that sentence was over zealous according to people that followed it.
I Covered Blago’s Trial From Start To Finish. Trump’s Commutation Isn’t Crazy.

I put myself in that situation and it actually makes me like Obama a little more. Maybe he's not as vindictive and petty as I thought.

I seriously do not understand why I would be upset.

That article I posted talked about 2 sentences the judge handed down in the past. In both cases the judge gave a lighter sentence. In both cases people died because if the actions of the accused.

I mean Blago tried to make some cash from his political position. Senators and Congress members make $100k+/year but yet somehow are all millionaires after a few years.

It just seems like those that are in the inside politically can make all the bribes they want and those that aren't get to spend their life in jail when they try to play. He was wrong but wow it seems like he more than paid for his actions.
Wow, what a rousing endorsement of political corruption.

Impaired

Registered Member
It was a nice way of saying your logic that a Trump supporter should be upset that he pardoned a Democrat is really dumb.
Actually, party doesn't matter - we're talking about a corrupt politician who tried to sell a senate seat.

I can't imagine feeling anything but disgust for a politician that corrupt. I really fail to see how party matters in this at all. Either you support corruption, or you don't.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
It was a nice way of saying your logic that a Trump supporter should be upset that he pardoned a Democrat is really dumb.
He’s too dumb to get it. Blago is a piece of shit, he’s corrupt. He’s never going to be elected to another position anyway. People serve longer sentences for worse crimes. I don’t really care that he’s pardoned. To conclude “I’m ok with corruption” because of that is just stupid.

Trump got Alice Marie Johnson out of jail. I agree with it. That doesn’t mean I’m ok with people selling drugs. That’s just dumb.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Blago served 8 years of 14 for lying to the FBI and attempting to sell the seat.
From the article:
Zagel, as it happens, was the same judge who in 2009 had sentenced mob informant Nick Calabrese to 12 years in prison. Calabrese helped take down the Chicago mob. He also killed 14 people.
And
Illinois’ previous convicted governor, George Ryan.
Ryan was sentenced to 6½ years in his corruption conviction, which grew from a massive bribe-taking scandal in the secretary of state’s office that Ryan had previously overseen. Secretary of state workers, who said they felt pressured to cough up to Ryan’s campaign fund, were handing out driver’s licenses to unqualified individuals for bribes. A commercial truck driver, who was among those to corruptly obtain a license, ended up causing a horrific crash that killed six children.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Dinesh D'Souza was thrown in jail for something that nobody had every been jailed for. He made too large a campaign donation. Happens all the time.
But Dinesh had made an unflattering movie about Obama. It just seems to me like some judges and citizens in general see Obama like a 2 year old emotionally hurt child and if anyone does anything that may hurt his feelings, that person must b be dealt with harshly.

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Dinesh D'Souza was thrown in jail for something that nobody had every been jailed for. He made too large a campaign donation. Happens all the time.
But Dinesh had made an unflattering movie about Obama. It just seems to me like some judges and citizens in general see Obama like a 2 year old emotionally hurt child and if anyone does anything that may hurt his feelings, that person must b be dealt with harshly.
I don’t remember anyone here crying about Obama’s abuse of authority when that happened, or calling him corrupt or anything unflattering for that matter. The selective outrage is hilarious.